Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new fish finder/gps. What are you guys using? What would you recommend, and why? Hoping for something that will help me find bottom structure while trolling.

Thanks in advance,
Potsie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pick a price range as a starting point. There are all sorts of bells and whistles and screen sizes and special capabilities. I will tell you my thinking: My needs are basic, I want a gps so I can record locations (structure, launch, locations of strikes). I want a fishfinder to help me find structure and fish and to know how deep it is. I prefered a color screen but didn't need a very large screen. I got a Garmin Striker 4 for $120 and really like it. The price options go way up from there. Its simple to use and has what i need. There is no removable data card, it doesn't send emergency distress signals... but its perfect for a yak. I actually got a new yak and will probably just get another Striker 4 so my friends can have a fishfinder when they come with me (and so I dont have to remove and reinstall the transducer)
I recommend installing the transducer in your hull, its easy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Pick a price range as a starting point. There are all sorts of bells and whistles and screen sizes and special capabilities. I will tell you my thinking: My needs are basic, I want a gps so I can record locations (structure, launch, locations of strikes). I want a fishfinder to help me find structure and fish and to know how deep it is. I prefered a color screen but didn't need a very large screen. I got a Garmin Striker 4 for $120 and really like it. The price options go way up from there. Its simple to use and has what i need. There is no removable data card, it doesn't send emergency distress signals... but its perfect for a yak. I actually got a new yak and will probably just get another Striker 4 so my friends can have a fishfinder when they come with me (and so I dont have to remove and reinstall the transducer)
I recommend installing the transducer in your hull, its easy
Appreciate the feedback. Now that I'm thinking about it, pretty sure I'd like one with a data card slot - for a map of the marshes here in south LA. Other than that, screen size would be my only other worry. I want to be able to easily read it when in the yak, but not too big as I know that increases the price. Ease of use would also be a factor, although I'm sure I could figure one out with practice.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you fish the marsh in LA I would recommend a card slot so you can upload map data and find your way. I found a 4 inch screen is big enough for my needs but if you get bigger its easier to do a split screen of you map and the fishfinder, which is nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts