Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 24' Wellcraft with a 225 OX66. Here's my problem. It is equipped with a Perko switch and runs 2 12v batteries in series. The motor and washdown pump are the only two things "hard wired" but they still only work when the perko is on. I can't get anything else to come on besides those two things. Everything worked fine when I was looking at the boat. I know the batteries are not in the best shape though. We switched all kinds of used batteries around while I was looking at it. Checked them individually last night and one read 11.8v and the other 11.5v under no load. So like I said motor trim works along with washdown pump but thats it. I did get the radio/vhf to come on randomly for a couple minutes but it cut out every time I touched the motor trim and came back as soon as I let off. I checked the voltage of all the grounds on the inside of the console and everything was getting power (~11.5v). My guess is that the batteries are shot but only thing about that is the trim and washdown still work. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
It could be in the switch itself. I had one fail. It could also be corrosion on some of the connections too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuses have corrosion build up in the box that feeds the perko also. I dont get it, it worked fine the other day.

·
Registered
664 Posts
11.8 is a dead battery. 12.8 is charged, 12.4 is 50%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the trim works and so does the wash down. Maybe going through the perko it takes some power. I just hooked up a jump box to the batteries and within a minute they started smelling like they were burning.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,186 Posts
The back of the battery switches could also be corroded like the fuse box. It sounds like it needs a full check up of the boats wiring system. Even though a battery reads voltage it can still have dead cells and not put out enough amps to power the systems. It could read 13 volts and still be no good.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Also check the condition of your battery cables. If they are crunchy when you bend them they are bad. I had this problem with a jumper wire on the neg side of the battery.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
If you checked the batteries at the battery and get 11.8 they are bad or need a charge badly or best to replace them. Or just put a single battery into the system that is good and test with that first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just replaced the batteries and still nothing. I'm getting good voltage at the wiring boards inside the console. Im stumped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts