Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a transfer switch for a generator put in at the house and looking for a good electrician. Anyone have any recommendations? Milton/Pace area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
If I was going to do it, I would get one of those meters with a generator plug in it. God’s power comes on plugs this thing in between your meter and meter panel. It works just like a transfer switch. But then it also works as a surge protector too.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I think it’s about 1000 bucks for that meter plug. When it’s around 500 or so to do the generator switch panel. We do them from time to time

·
Registered
13,981 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Selectiricity is not even able to get out to do an estimate until 3/11. So got it on the calendar. The lady I spoke with said they are seeing a huge spike in demand for transfer switch and whole home units given the predictions for this storm season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you don't mind, how about a follow up post with your choice of electrician, particular switch and final cost. Maybe pics too. Interested in doing this for my
When we replace the whole house generator we have now, or when we decide to build we will get a Cummins whole house generator.

I'm sure they are great, just make sure there is a support network and someone around to work on it. Cummins engines are bulletproof, but the motor is the least likely place you will have a problem. I went with Generac, with an extended warranty because of the sheer number of shops around here that work on them.

·
Bearded Brotula
12,339 Posts
I'm sure they are great, just make sure there is a support network and someone around to work on it. Cummins engines are bulletproof, but the motor is the least likely place you will have a problem. I went with Generac, with an extended warranty because of the sheer number of shops around here that work on them.
I have a Generac now. I work on the engine myself. It's impossible to find someone over this way that will even look at the new ones. When mine goes out, I'm gonna replace it with the 36kw Cummins. That being said, I should be able to keep mine going for quite a few more years.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have a Generac now. I work on the engine myself. It's impossible to find someone over this way that will even look at the new ones. When mine goes out, I'm gonna replace it with the 36kw Cummins. That being said, I should be able to keep mine going for quite a few more years.
Where do you live?

·
Bearded Brotula
12,339 Posts
Where do you live?
Gulf Shores. My neighbor put in a Generac about 6 months before Sally. Paid for the service plan with whoever she bought it from. Every time they would do service, the tech would leave the cover up. He serviced it right before Sally. Did you know that the control board right there under the lid is not waterproof? Fried the control board, so during Sally she had no power. She is an older widow. The tech showed back up about 2 months after Sally and then said he had to order a new board. It just got fixed.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Gulf Shores. My neighbor put in a Generac about 6 months before Sally. Paid for the service plan with whoever she bought it from. Every time they would do service, the tech would leave the cover up. He serviced it right before Sally. Did you know that the control board right there under the lid is not waterproof? Fried the control board, so during Sally she had no power. She is an older widow. The tech showed back up about 2 months after Sally and then said he had to order a new board. It just got fixed.
I understand the electronics are the weak part. We have a larger network of Generac service techs over here in Pensacola, and that's what sold me. My Neighbor has Koehler and can't find anyone to work on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts