Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
just a Mr.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Century 2600WA/ twin F200s. After about 10 days of sitting on the lift, plugged into shore power, i took the boat out for a quick spin. After shutting it off and fishing, it seemed reluctant to start. Started the starboard instead, then cranked the port. Put it on the lift, and 6 hours the DC voltage was waaaay low. Below 10Vs on thr yamaha gauges. After some inspection, the house battery had a charging lead(assuming this, it was a smaller gauge cable coming from the port motor) completely melted off the positive terminal post.
New cable end replaced, and all batteries were charged. Or so i thought. The onboard 3 bank charger didnt seem to be charging. All 3 banks showed ready(not charging). Then i tried charging all batteries with another charger on a slow charge. The voltage on the gauge reads 7.6V!!! i stopped the charging after i finally got 11.8Vs to show after trickle charging 2 batteries all night. Started the motors, but then started hearing the 3 yr old AGM crackling very loud. What gives?

1 battery(AGM) is new, 2nd AGM is 3yrs, deep cycle house is 4 years old. 3 Battery switches that can isolate the. From everything but the bilge pump.

They are wired in parallel with all negative posts connected and then ran to the negative bus bar/terminal.

i give up and am willing to pay some $$ for a mobile repair job.

J. Lewis
santa Rosa Shores

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Where ever it got hot/melted is/was the weakest link. You need to load test all your batteries. If one is shorting out it's plates you'll have alot of weird problems. Also don't overlook your selector switch. Take it off and look at the back of it, a lot of stuff builds up behind them. Call Preston.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Start by checking the output of the charger.
I have seen them put out to much.......This starts to cook things.

All batteries need to be charged and then Load Tested.

It sits on a lift....That tells me stuff is exposed to more extreme conditions.

ALL battery cable connections need to be taken apart and cleaned...Coated with Diaelectric grease and reassembeled properly.....

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Don't AGM need a different charging algorithm than lead acid?

I'm assuming you're using a 3 bank charger with separate leads from the charger to each battery.

I'd start by removing all three batteries, charging each on it's own, then load testing each one - this will tell you if the batteries are any good.

Do what X-Shark said and clean everything well and coat with dielectric grease.

Re-assemble and check the charging current.

My guess is that your battery charger is toast and it destroyed your batteries.

I will never use a multi bank charger again. Each battery will have its own dedicated charger.

·
just a Mr.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've removed all 3 and charging them independently. How would yall recommend i load test them? The switches were clean, and ill pick up the dielectric grease tomorrow. Much appreciated gents!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Well I own a Load tester......But they can be load tested at most all auto parts stores.

The only problem is lugging them there....But You need to know.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well I own a Load tester......But they can be load tested at most all auto parts stores.

The only problem is lugging them there....But You need to know.
If the auto parts store person knows what they are doing.. I have had many batteries come into my shop that the parts store said were good but would not take a load. Seems most of the parts stores only tested them for voltage and not a load...

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts