Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses electric knives?? what do you use and why??

I was trying to figure out what kind of knife is being used in the following link. It looks like a single osilating blade rather than two blades like most that I have seen.

Thanks for any input....................Dennis

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Im pretty sure that ones has two blades like all the rest. I dont use them as much as I used to but they are good when you have alot of realtively small fish to clean

·
Registered
150 Posts
i agree with travis, they are the way to go when you got a pile of smaller fish, (mingos, pogies, etc.) I used to use the mister twister but the burn up pretty quick, especially if used regularly. I like the american angler. You can get them at sports athority. they are yellow and come in a black case with two sets of blades and run you about 30 bucks. i dontrecommendthem for cleaning larger fish, you just will lose alot of meat.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I only use electric knives when i clean flounder. i use one from academy or walmart...its 12v but comes with a converter to plug in 110v. works like a charm

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I prefer an electric on a big fish actually, because Im not so worried about getting every little bit of meat, and you have more room to work. On a small fish I want to get every bit of meat, and I don't want to cut my hand off in a split second it takes for those back and forth blades

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
choppedliver (2/21/2010)I prefer an electric on a big fish actually, because Im not so worried about getting every little bit of meat, and you have more room to work. On a small fish I want to get every bit of meat, and I don't want to cut my hand off in a split second it takes for those back and forth blades
Clean a big grouper or cobia with an electric and youll wish you didnt because of all the wasted meat. I always try to get all I can. Once you are used to it it is the way to go for small fish. You can fly through some B-liners or white trout if your into that

·
Registered
150 Posts
choppa, you might have never cleaned a big fish such as a tuna, wahoo or grouper but you save alot of meat with a regular knife like a forschner or a dexter. but i would recommend one day when you catch a big fish to try it. you will save alot of meat. if you know how to use one the electrics are good for smaller fish because they have a smaller vertabrate and you wont waste all that meat. just takes some practice

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
This is just my opinion, which differs from most.

Get the kind that has a blade that comes to a point. Not a blade that comes to a 45 degree angle @ the tip. This allows for tight accuracy and smooth transitions in the cut. I clean just about every fish electric. You will thank the fishing gods the first mess of Sheepheads you clean with electric.

Having the option to run it 12 volt or 110 volt is a great.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good info here, looks like some trips to bass pro and a couple others are comming up to start checking them out................

·
Registered
259 Posts
The best electric knife I ever had was a black and decker not designed for a fillet knife but worked better than any supposed electrical fillet knife I have owned. I very seldom use an electric knife anymore and all I do is fish inshore; I find it faster for me with a regular fillet knife.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what it's worth................I cut up a couple Kings into steakswith a SAW-ZALL and a wood cutting blade................It worked Great, but the saw had a stink for a while...........kinda tricky to clean it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive got the Rapala set mentioned above and it is sweet...BUT there is a safety buttun on the trigger that sucks. Once you disengage that the knife runs alot better. I fillet hundreds of LA trout some weeks and the knife has worked well so far. MR Twisters last about a week or two, American Anglers last forever it seems. I replace blades about once a month because of the volume. I agree about big fish. Dexter filet knife in a 9in version keeps the meat loss to a min. J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts