Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting because I love reading all of your posts and want to contribute, although it pains me. Left Gulf Breeze about 0545 and headed for elbow with flying fish everywhere. Started trolling at 0745 and proceeded to troll for 6 hours to the Steps without a single bite. No weedlines, birds, or boiling bait anywhere except for the flying fish and no other fish sighted. Water looked beautiful and was especially blue at the Steps, but just no luck. Beautiful day for about a 175 mile roundtrip, but I am so discouraged with trolling after trying hard this summer. I probably won't go again unless the Hilton's is perfect. Good luck to the rest of you.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Don't get too discouraged, we have all had those days where the fish just did not co operate. Also keep reading the forum and learning and making friends here. I am almost always going after billfish, but this time of year trolling large lipped lures like Mann's 30 etc.. can be deadly for wahoo along the area you trolled. You won't catch many if any bills this way, but you will catch wahoo and rarely get skunked. Slow trolling ballyhoo will get you a shot at everything and also works quite well. While I troll traditional plastic lures most of the time, it can be the toughest and easiest way to get skunked.

Good luck and hang tough!
Robert

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
It happens to all of us at some point. There is a lot of water to cover out there and if it weren't for that damn tail those fish have, we'd always know where to find them.

The best thing you can do is research all you can before the trip. Satellite imaging, local reports, old fishing logs, etc. In the end, there will always be the case of "should've been here yesterday".

FYI to all going, the spur and squiggles was the place to be yesterday. have heard some very good reports and seen some great pics from yesterday of a few Blue Marlin and some very nice Wahoo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts