Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my son on the Eglin Youth Hunt for the first time this weekend. Any tips to make the experience the best it can be is really appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hunt all day. i have been 2 times and both times my son killed in the middle of the day both times out of a ground blind. if it is right it will be the most unbelievable hunt you or him could go on in this area. good luck

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
You guys are lucky! I signed my son up for that hunt but we didn't get selected. From what I know about it they have guides that put you in spots where they know deer frequent. Like has already been said, pack a lunch and sit all day! Good luck, hopefully you havea great story and some good pics to post on Monday.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will let everyone know how it goes. Hopefully some great pics. Thanks for the input and encouragement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the youth hunt is run very well they find out what each person has blind, climbers,four wheel driveand so on. then they take you to an area that is good for what you have. they drop you off with your truck and tell you the area to stay in. you will be all alone for the most part. they will check up on you and come get you when you get something. they put us on a road and told us we could shoot down it if we needed to. the areas you will be in are buck and doe hunts every time they get hunted so you will not see lots of does and no bucks. both ares we hunted we had the green light to shoot without worry that someone else was in the area so even if youare at your truck for lunch you arehunting. good luck it will be very fun.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Things that we feel willhelp you. Be able to tell your guide that: We have a 4 wheel drive, climbers, and a ground blind. Some area will provide 300 + yard shots. While others will be limited to 50 yards. Mostly luck of the draw. Some of the better areas are down sandy roads. Also having a climber may get you into a fine bottom.

Take your lunch, snacks, water, and TP so that you can stay in your area. JMHO

While I have never been on the youth hunt, I have gone with my son on the mobility impaired hunts serveral times. Some spots sitting on the ground will not hurt, but in you are other spots being able to get up in the air is of a great advanage. We were there this past weekend and the bucks were still chasing.

JMO BBob

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
38 deer total and about 6 hogs. I will try to post photos later.My son harvested a nice 8 point and 194lb hog. Got the deer hunt on video. Worked with Kevin and Justin mostly but everyone was very nice. These guys do everything they can to make this an enjoyable hunt for all. It really takes a lot of work and coordination to pull this off. My hats off to everyone at Jackson Guard and Eglin to put this program on. Can't say enough positive about the experience. Everyone should take a kid hunting through this program.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
124 Posts
pcola4 (2/15/2010) These guys do everything they can to make this an enjoyable hunt for all. It really takes a lot of work and coordination to pull this off. My hats off to everyone at Jackson Guard and Eglin to put this program on. Can't say enough positive about the experience. Everyone should take a kid hunting through this program.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
I second that..It was a great hunt saw deer all day!! We took a nice 7pt and a doe that was about 7-9 years old for sure. SHE WAS CHEWING ON HER GUMS...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the success. You are definitely right about Justin and the Jackson Guard crew doing a great job on these hunts. I've been on several of the Commander's Hunts and they are always top notch, especially when you consider that they do these for 3 weekends in a row. They do the Commander's Hunt, Mobility Impaired Hunt and Youth Hunt on back-to-back-to-back weekends.

Justin called friday night to see if my son was available (he was on alt list and someone fell out at the last min) but unfortunately we had plans for the weekend. Sounds like we missed out on a good hunt, hopefully next year!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only saw 6 deer first morning. Took the pig that evening. Sunday was a little slow but that's hunting. Wish I could go every year. If anyone knows how to post a photo let me know. Would love to post one. The insert image icon requests a URL to the attachment. A little out of my paygrade. Anyone know an easier way?:banghead:takephoto

·
Hell Yeah!!
191 Posts
My son Zach got his first deer on Sunday morning of the youth hunt. Made a great 100 yd. shot on a 4-pt that then ran30 yds before cartwheeling into a pile.He let abunch of does walk waiting for a buck for his first.What anawesome opportunity for a kid and a lot of fun fordad too. Thanks Jackson Guard!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
pcola4 (2/15/2010)Only saw 6 deer first morning. Took the pig that evening. Sunday was a little slow but that's hunting. Wish I could go every year. If anyone knows how to post a photo let me know. Would love to post one. The insert image icon requests a URL to the attachment. A little out of my paygrade. Anyone know an easier way?:banghead:takephoto
Yeah it's pretty easy. Even I can do it.

Learn to post
like the pro's from the Official PFF
Po-Po!<P align=center><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>Because our family
is growing every day, newer folks should learn to post their threads w/ pics correctly without having to click on each picture

Step 1:When in your body of the thread look at the bar above that looks like this :::
<BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Numbered List" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('insertorderedlist')">
</BUTTON><BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title=Bullets style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('insertunorderedlist')">
</BUTTON><BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Increase Indent" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('indent')">
</BUTTON><BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Decrease Indent" style="CURSOR: hand" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('outdent')">
<BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Align Left" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('justifyleft')">
</BUTTON><BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Align Center" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('justifycenter')">
</BUTTON><BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Align Right" style="CURSOR: hand" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_cmdExec('justifyright')">
<BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Insert Image" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_InsertImage()">
<BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Insert Hyperlink" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_InsertLink()">
<BUTTON class=txtPost_MenuButton title="Insert Quote" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f6f6f6 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #f6f6f6; BORDER-LEFT: #f6f6f6 1px solid; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f6f6f6 1px solid" unselectable="on" onclick="txtPost_InsertQuote()">
IFCode

Step 2: Click on the icon that looks like

Step 3:A new window will open up and click BROWSE to find your pic, then up load it.

Step 4: If your are posting more then 1 pic, after every picture finishes loading hit the enter button to move the cursor back to the far left (underneath the last picture poster) so pictures will not load side by side taking up more area (having to scroll right to read and see pics
)

Step 5:When you are finished loading your pics and your body of your thread is complete, post it.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

nice 8 point and 194 lb hog. Congrats Caleb! Grab a kid and take them hunting! Thanks Jackson Guard!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I heard that they were corning those deer up out there for those hunts? Do any of ya'll know if there is any truth to that? Or maybe just a rumor?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No way they are corning up the deer. Most people saw very few deer. A few people saw quite a few. Luck of the draw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts