Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the appearance of the Sikes area and its closure during the archery season I have lost the only part of the range I have hunted (Last year being my first).

Just curious if anyone has hunted on Eglin AFB in the small archery only areas. Are there actually any deer out there? Is it crowded? In short would it be better to look else where on the range?

·
Hell Yeah!!
191 Posts
I bow hunted Jackson West a lot last year only to be shut out this year. I hunted Jackson N and S before and I plan to hunt there during the week next week. I will say, you can climb just about any tree on Eglin and see all the does and yearlings you want to shoot. If you are looking for a trophy, they are there somewhere but you will have to put your time in. I plan to camp at Blue Spring if you want to drop in and share stories.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I saw plenty of doe on the range last year while I was in the Sikes area. I was more referring to the archery areas actually located on the base itself. Thanks for the invite I might take you up on it.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
I have not been out there in several years but the area behind the Commissary and Cobb's Overrun used to be loaded with monster bucks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Eglin main base has a good number of deer. I dont have a map for this year so I cant see what areas are open. I have hunted all over the range and deer can be found on most of it. The area across from the 33rd gate holds some nice deer I see a rack buck over by the guard rail a few times a year. The rail is in the area of the 33rd gate. This area is open to only D.O.D personnel just like the main base.

·
Registered
93 Posts
purcey, there are no deer on eglin at all!! just squirrels lol
Yea BIG ones that like to mess with you. Had a tri color fox squirrel hell bent on getting in the stand with me a few years ago it took throwing an flashlight ,rangefinder,and a compass at him to run him off which only worked for about 15 minutes .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts