Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or at least most of it is, according to what I was just told from Jackson Guard. Apparently the rangers are here to train. Better consider where you will be going and double check the closures.

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sucks because I have 6 stands for our hunting party in Jackson. Spent an afternoon putting them up lasts week.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Or at least most of it is, according to what I was just told from Jackson Guard. Apparently the rangers are here to train. Better consider where you will be going and double check the closures.
Rangers have been training out of Camp James E. Rudder for decades. They just close off different parts of Eglin depending on the part of the swamp phase training they are in. They do close off certain areas without notice also. Have seen them hiking through the woods near Duke Field with observers 30-45 minutes out in front of the trainees basically clearing hunters from the area rather quickly.

Not sure if the airborne out of 7th Special Forces close off any areas on Eglin, but I see them riding their atv's all the time around the Eglin trails when I'm working out there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check the map again, they added more closures as of today :thumbdown:

Both our stands are in the closed section, While I respect the reasoning and appreciate the ability to hunt on their property, I sure hate it for a bunch of kids that look forward to this weekend. I wish they would just issue a tag with a kids permit and let them have it during the season, to avoid things like this!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Special Forces and Rangers have scheduled maneuvers this week. It always seems to be during the special hunts. You would think that they would plan a little better, but I guess its a "matter of National Security".

Wonder when the next phase of training will take place, anyone want to bet it will be during the Feb Primitive Weapons hunt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Special Forces and Rangers have scheduled maneuvers this week. It always seems to be during the special hunts. You would think that they would plan a little better, but I guess its a "matter of National Security".

Wonder when the next phase of training will take place, anyone want to bet it will be during the Feb Primitive Weapons hunt.

I bet the Rangers have had this planned for several months, Jackson Guard needs better oversight of upcoming events.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sucks because I have 6 stands for our hunting party in Jackson. Spent an afternoon putting them up lasts week.
How did you guys do yesterday? I saw your uncle "Spooney" drive by with his ranger in tow and wondered if you were with him.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Been dealing with it all weekend too! Busted my butt hanging stands in Jackson just to see Saturday morning they closed that section too. We made the 1 1-2 hr drive to brier creek and are stuck sitting on the ground. Sucks for the kids that have been waiting all year for this weekend

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been dealing with it all weekend too! Busted my butt hanging stands in Jackson just to see Saturday morning they closed that section too. We made the 1 1-2 hr drive to brier creek and are stuck sitting on the ground. Sucks for the kids that have been waiting all year for this weekend
It was a busy for us. Wound up hunting blind and none of us saw anything.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thats about how our weekend ended up. Going in completely blind. My brother and his daughter didn't see a thing. My son and I did see 9 does this morning but it was at about 200yrds and he couldn't pull it off. All in all the kids had fun and it beats playing video games. Just hate it all worked out that way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check the map again, they added more closures as of today :thumbdown:

Both our stands are in the closed section, While I respect the reasoning and appreciate the ability to hunt on their property, I sure hate it for a bunch of kids that look forward to this weekend. I wish they would just issue a tag with a kids permit and let them have it during the season, to avoid things like this!!!
Totally agree. I understand that this sort of thing comes with the territory but it sucks for the kids. Wish they would honor the tag at another date considering the situation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
saw this on the Eglin Hunters FB page---

Hello All Eglin Youth Hunters,
Jackson Guard contacted SEDHA this afternoon and informed us of some very good news for our 2015 youth hunters. Jackson Guard & Eglin AFB would like to thank all of the youth hunters, parents & guardians for their patience this past weekend in handling the unexpected mission closures in the areas you love to hunt. That being said Jackson Guard would like to inform our SEDHA youth and all of our youth hunters that hunt on Eglin AFB .. Please read... below..
3rd phase - Weekend of the 24th & 25th
Youth that currently still have a tag after this past weekend.
Youth hunters are open to fill their tags ONLY IF YOU HAVE A TAG REMAINING FROM LAST WEEKEND.
PAM Open & Closure map will detail this opening as well..
Again; to our youth hunters. Eglin AFB cannot thank you enough for your patience and wishes each tag holder luck on the 24th & 25th. All different types of hunters have helped to make this happen so let us all work together to make this a success for our future.. YOUTH ONLY CAN FILL THEIR TAG!!!
Thanks
SEDHA
"Keeping The Tradition Alive"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts