Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never realized how close it was to me until today. Can anyone give me any idea what the hunting is like on the Far East end?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Most of the area is open for dog hunting. I never had any bad experiences with them just expect someone might run dogs past you. But it is thick with lots of creeks that hold deer and hogs. Area just east of choctaw beach has lots of small cemeteries you will stumble on one from time to time. Some good hunting south of hwy 20 also. It was the late 80's when I hunted that area. Point Washington state forest is also south of you. I see deer of 98 all the time when working down there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Go down c-6 and go to brier creek it's walk in only no dogs. Get to the east side of it cause it butts up to a dog hunting area and the dogs will chase bucks towards you. Killed nice deer every year in there just expect a long walk. Good thing is when you shoot something you can get a vehicle pass so you don't have to tote the deer out

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks yall for the info. I'm from bay county and moved out to south Walton last year. I still hunt the same areas I did before I moved but now I have a longer drive.
I never realized that Eglin property runs almost to hwy 331.
what tract is that just north of the dog hunt unit? Is that brier creek? The color on the map is so close to several others I can't distinguish the difference.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the area is open for dog hunting. I never had any bad experiences with them just expect someone might run dogs past you. But it is thick with lots of creeks that hold deer and hogs. Area just east of choctaw beach has lots of small cemeteries you will stumble on one from time to time. Some good hunting south of hwy 20 also. It was the late 80's when I hunted that area. Point Washington state forest is also south of you. I see deer of 98 all the time when working down there.
I hunt point Washington regularly. It's in my back yard. It has a strong herd of does but very few bucks. I enjoy hunting it cause it's so close but I don't expect to kill anything big.

I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks yall for the info. I'm from bay county and moved out to south Walton last year. I still hunt the same areas I did before I moved but now I have a longer drive.
I never realized that Eglin property runs almost to hwy 331.
what tract is that just north of the dog hunt unit? Is that brier creek? The color on the map is so close to several others I can't distinguish the difference.
Yes, it's the brown with the dashes. It's only open weekends and federal holidays. This used to be a good area. Very little is shot out there these days but there are still good deer in there. Plan on a long walk in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts