Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only got to hunt 5 times this bow season. Weather cooperated well and I don't think I was hunting on top of anyone else. Spent my time in Jackson south and north. In my first 3 hunts I passed on a doe with a fawn and had a release mis-hap that cost me a shot at another group of does.

Got out this am for a short hunt to close out bow season. Had three tom turkeys walk through at about 7:00. At 8:00 I saw a decent 8pt with a spike at about 85 yards. Tried using the grunt call but could only get them to stop and look. Not enough interest to walk into bow range. Saw two more deer way off moving fast and that was it.

Overall a decent season but I would have liked to ice some meat for the year. Now I'll be forced to take a smaller buck during gun to put meat in the freezer. Not a big deal but I really prefer to let the 1 and 2 year olds walk. QDMA only works when you're not hungry.

See you in the trees.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I Am not being a smartass But why do u feel like you have to kill a young buck. Sound like you are in a good spot and you saw a good deer in there cant you hunt him?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I Am not being a smartass But why do u feel like you have to kill a young buck. Sound like you are in a good spot and you saw a good deer in there cant you hunt him?
Sounds like he was in one of the archery only areas. Hard to do management on public land.

·
Registered
111 Posts
He is hunting Eglin...if he lets him walk again durin rifle that may be the last time he ever sees the thing. The next person to see him will kill him regardless how big he is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By no means am I going to target young deer. It's just that on Eglin you tend to have multiple opportunites to take 1 and 2 year olds, especially in the early seasons. All I was saying is that I'm going to put meat in the freezer first, then horns on the wall. Hopefully I can do both with one shot.

I'll hunt that 8pt again but once the guns start going off deer behavior on Eglin changes completely. He may become a ghost.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good Luck in the Jackson South area... I've hunted the Choctaw Center area the lat 2 years and it hasn't been good (esp for a still hunter)... I am going to check out more and more of the Roberts Pond area this year and see if I can come out with something good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good Luck in the Jackson South area... I've hunted the Choctaw Center area the lat 2 years and it hasn't been good (esp for a still hunter)... I am going to check out more and more of the Roberts Pond area this year and see if I can come out with something good.
Roberts pond is not as good as what it has been in the past. Have archery hunted up there this year and not much sign of deer. They drained all the water from the pond and it has also affected the creeks that run through there. Good luck to ya and we may run into each other out there if I decide to hunt up there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I forgot about them draining the pond....I have a spot I like in Choctaw Center that see's plenty of deer traveling thru but the dog hunting really messes them up... may have to just stick with it unless I scout out somewhere good soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts