Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a few friends and my son out to the edge Saturday to test out the new (to me) boat. Its a 32' Century Walkaround with a cobia tower/upper station and twin 250 Yamahas.

We got a bit of a late start, but headed out to the Western Edge around 9am. It was a little choppier than expected, but not too bad. Started setting up a drift over my spot and we were pulling in decent mingos pretty steadily. Using the basely legal ones as bait. After a little while one of the guys was leaning over the rail hanging on for dear life. I thought for sure it was a monster AJ. After a solid 20 min fight we got our first look of the biggest sand shark I've seen in a while. He was every bit of 180 pounds. By some stroke of luck, he was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth on a two hook "chicken rig" of all things. Managed to get everything but the one hook back. Considered myself lucky and sent him on his way.

We also boated a couple of nice triggers, out there but never got an AJ over the rail. I suspect a couple of break offs were good sized reef donkeys, but we'll never know for sure. I rarely anchor up, especially out there, but one of the guys talked me into. Of course, the anchor and about 200' of rode is still there… If anyone does any diving out there, let me know, I'll give you the coords and chip in for the fuel to retrieve it (holding my breath). All and all it was a good day on the water and I was happy with how the boat ran. I don't think I can ever go back to operating without autopilot!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Nice catch. Love me some mingo. I hear ya about the anchoring. Got to have a reef anchor to drop over the edge. We just make cheep rebar ones that if we break the bars then we are not out anything.

·
IT'S ALL GOOD !
1,352 Posts
Nice job. I haven't lost an anchor at the edge yet, but I'm sure it willl happen one of these days. Sounds like your boat treated you well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
nice catch and great pics! did you have your anchor rigged break-away style? i lost one last year in the same area.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anchor

No, unfortunately it was an expensive plow anchor. Shoulda never put it down there. I imagine it is wedged pretty good under a rock of some sort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts