Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on making a night trip to the edge. Anybody got any tips or insight on night fishing out there? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance of tuna out there? I get off at 10 Friday night and I see the report is saying it'll be pretty flat.. plus a full moon

Worst case scenario I'll hit my snapper and grouper spots on my way back in...never been to the edge so wanted 2 give it a try

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I'd kinda like to do that at night also. We figs the edge all the time, but never at night.
This weekend may be the right one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd kinda like to do that at night also. We figs the edge all the time, but never at night.
This weekend may be the right one.
Never been out there....got a good coordinate or so for the Edge? Definitely trying to hook up on some Tuna....

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
There is no better place to be than on the edge on a Friday night we will be out there getting some mangos and what ever might decide to bite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
stick it on dead south for 27 miles and look for a drop from 160 to 220 feet on your chart. You found the edge. Then troll some marks and drop down. Not that hard. The pic below from Google Earth will show you why they call it the Edge. Looks like a knife blade. Note the coordinates. EDIT: If you hit that AJ hole 3 miles from the edge prepare to have your shoulders dislocated.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stick it on dead south for 27 miles and look for a drop from 160 to 220 feet on your chart. You found the edge. Then troll some marks and drop down. Not that hard. The pic below from Google Earth will show you why they call it the Edge. Looks like a knife blade. Note the coordinates. EDIT: If you hit that AJ hole 3 miles from the edge prepare to have your shoulders dislocated.
Appreciate the info

·
IT'S ALL GOOD !
1,352 Posts
The only time I fished the edge at night last year, there was a huge commercial boat out there and had the place lit up with his lights. I couldn't tell what he was doing but his bright lights were blinding us.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I use to fish the edge a lot at night. I love it!
There are some inexpensive underwater lights you can find to drop over the side (2 of them even better). The light should bring in a lot of bait fish and squid ( bring a dip net and be quick! ) The live bait should do the trick every drop. If you get some flying fish they are the best.
The best blackfin tuna bite is at dawn and day break. Chum chum chum!!!
buy some chum bags to hang off the anchor rope. Better yet if someone will loan you a chum churn ( I swear fish know the sound of a chum churn, lol ). A flat of mackerel would be great for the chum churn. You should have a good line of chum behind the boat when day breaks. That has always been when I catch the most tuna. I wouldn't count on yellow fin.
If you get the bonita schooling then you should find the tuna about 20-30' below them. Put on a 3oz weight and try to get it below the bonita.
Typically the tuna can be picky about the bait. They prefer a whole bait. If it gets damaged switch it out and use it for bottom fishing.
Best to buddy boat unless you have 2 motors. I feel kinda leery out there when no one is around to help if you have problems.
Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you guys anchored or drifting when your talking about chumming/chunking to attract tuna?

If anchored are you trying to anchor at the top side of a ledge?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use to fish the edge a lot at night. I love it!
There are some inexpensive underwater lights you can find to drop over the side (2 of them even better). The light should bring in a lot of bait fish and squid ( bring a dip net and be quick! ) The live bait should do the trick every drop. If you get some flying fish they are the best.
The best blackfin tuna bite is at dawn and day break. Chum chum chum!!!
buy some chum bags to hang off the anchor rope. Better yet if someone will loan you a chum churn ( I swear fish know the sound of a chum churn, lol ). A flat of mackerel would be great for the chum churn. You should have a good line of chum behind the boat when day breaks. That has always been when I catch the most tuna. I wouldn't count on yellow fin.
If you get the bonita schooling then you should find the tuna about 20-30' below them. Put on a 3oz weight and try to get it below the bonita.
Typically the tuna can be picky about the bait. They prefer a whole bait. If it gets damaged switch it out and use it for bottom fishing.
Best to buddy boat unless you have 2 motors. I feel kinda leery out there when no one is around to help if you have problems.
Hope this helps!!
Appreciate the info...ill let you know how we do

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
If you anchor at the ledge use a wreck anchor. If you use a danforth or whatnot plan to lose it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts