Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got on the water after a 3 month layoff. There was a manageable 2ft swell on the way out with very light wind. Started scanning the edge area for life and had a triple jack hookup on the first jig drop. Worked the area for a while and moved a few miles to the west near yellow gravel and found another cluster of fish and continued jigging. We spent the last few hours dropping cigar minnows/bonito strips for grouper and cut bait for mingos. I guess the grouper bite was not on or we just didn’t find them. The mingos were all throwbacks as well. On the way in we came across some top action about 10 miles out so we decided to throw on it and get a bonito to freeze for bait. When we got within casting range they went under and I saw a big school of good size fish on the fish finder. My buddy threw a small bullet jig off the back of the boat and let it sink then the drag started screaming. After about a 10 min fight he pulls up a 35” AJ. That was a first for us. We’ve never seen them school like that in open water. It was a great end to the trip.

Final tally was 3 amberjack and 4 almacos. The wife landed the biggest AJ at 40lb. Great day on the water after a long layoff.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Nice bendo pic, what rod?

·
IT'S ALL GOOD !
1,352 Posts
Nice to see that a few people got out on monday and enjoyed the nice weather. catching those fish were a nice bonus ! I need a fishing trip bad....

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I love those hopper rods and blanks. I have the 4'10" blank and it is my favorite rod to fish with.

·
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
1,263 Posts
Great catch, how come it's always the wife who nails the big one! Girls rule every time they are on board my boat. :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Great catch, how come it's always the wife who nails the big one! Girls rule every time they are on board my boat. :)
but.....they are always split on any decision and as always guys will come out on top.:thumbup:

jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts