Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
If you're refering to California, that's a different species of fish, that is similar to the true Atlantic Bonita, Sarda sarda. Both are highly edible compared to the Little Tunny, Euthynnus alletteratus, that we refer to as bonita.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I've eaten them a couple times. They weren't god awful but will never rank high on my list either. Not as strong as many would think, but still strong.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The old salt that taught me how to fish use to smoke them. He'd use a lot of of seasoning. They were pretty good.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
sorry its off topic but the sheepshead on the west coast also look different.. DOes anyone know if they taste similar or are even related?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
oxbeast1210 said:
sorry its off topic but the sheepshead on the west coast also look different.. DOes anyone know if they taste similar or are even related?
The west coasts sheepies taste much better to me any
way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i may be wrong but west coast it's sheephead and east coast sheepshead
west coast sheephead are good. im not a fan of west coast bonito but it makes good lobster bait.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Roadx, you are correct on the spelling. Also, you may not be a fan of your west coast species of bonito, but I've heard it tastes much better than our Little Tunny (Euthynnus alletteratus). Your west coast species may not be good, but I hear people regularly eat it out there. That gives a good comparison to how bad little tunny tastes.

Plattinum, you've posted a video of a completely different species than what's being discussed. The fish in the video is an Atlantic Bonito (Sarda sarda), not the Little Tunny that we commonly catch and refer to as bonita. I've never seen or heard of anyone catching an Atlantic Bonito in our area in the past 20 years. I have heard stories about them being caught off the area piers many years ago, but haven't seen any proof of it. They are commonly found up and down the east coast and can mix with schools of little tunny.

All of the above is a classic example of why organisms are given scientific names, as many may have multiple common names.

FYI, from what I read, Atlantic bonito are good eating, being in a completely differently league compared to our little tunny.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I lived out there for 12 years. We refeered to sheepies as "poor mans lobster" since the texture and taste are very very similiar to lobster. They take some getting used to as they are striped black and red and have a mouth full of huge teeth!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts