Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally broke the ice on the '10 season. I've been soooooo close3 previous times, but wasn't able to seal the deal. Had to be back for church easter morning, so things had to happen quick...and they did!

Me and a hunting buddy located a bird on the rooster over a big wet-weather pond. I've hunted and called this bird several times already this season, and had him at 50yds once. Moved in to about 100yds or so after he gobbled his head off. After setting up, we let him preach to us on the roost for a while, then let out some soft yelps to let him know where we were. He flys down about 6:45 and gobbles no less than30 times in pretty much one spot pacing back and forth. My buddy and I double team him with the calling to sound like more than one hen. He'd yelp just a little (soft) and I'd cluck a little...then switch the next time...I'd soft yelp and he'd cluck. After about 40 mins and a gobbler cluck from my partner, he started heading our way (that gobbler cluck pissed him off). The gobbles continued and continued...He was fired up for some easter lovin!!! FINALLY got himto about 25-30yds but niether of us could see him at all. I only had 1 opening to be able to get a shot and was praying he came to that spot. He stopped at 25-30yds for 10-15mins and gobbled another 20-30 times RIGHT IN FRONT OF US soooo loud it sounded like it shook the ground. I scratched the leaves around a bit and here he comes. He came right into that 1 opening I had, and BAM!...Dead Bird! It was only about a 20yd shot at 7:30am. I need to thank my hunting partner, cuzhis callingwas sounding pretty damngood Sunday morning...Thanks!

This was 1 of our Boss Toms on the lease. He was the man over that pond and it took us a while to finally nail him. His beard measured 10.5 " and had 1 spurthat measured1" and the other was 1-3/16"...and sharp! Weight 18.5 lbs. Damn fine bird!!!

First bird with my new gun too!!!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Wow, great job on a great bird, ours opens this weekend and I cant wait. Hunting and fishing in the same day makes for a great weekend.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mpmorr (4/5/2010)
Thanks!

I've had great luck through the years hunting on holidays. My biggest buck to date was killed on Thanksgiving Day (afternoon). My 2nd biggest buck was killed on New Years Day (morning). Killed a big gobbler 2 Easters ago. I just need to bag me a buck on Christmas Day and that should do it for the grand slamwhen hunting deer and turkeys on major holidays.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Awesome glad you got him! Me and my hunting partner have hunted the same bird 9 days now I sure can't wait to kill him. Good job

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bayou Country (4/7/2010)Nice job! I bet that was some rush closing the deal on that big daddy! Hopefully I can make it happen myself.
It was a helluva rush!...Thanks!

The best part was when we got him to 30yds and he stopped and stood there gobbling 20 times for 10mins and niether of us could see him...You talk about getting the blood pumping...GEEZE! Those close gobbles were SOOOOOOOO loud cuz we were down in a hardwood bottom near that pond which made things sound louder. I won't soon forget this hunt, thats for sure!

Hang with them...you'll get one too. Remember, calling less and softly is usually the best approach. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts