Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
In the base main office at the head of the base Drydock. Was a little history of the base. It had drawings of it all the way it was. All gone now nothing but a field.
The Drydock is still there where all of the port services boats tie up. If on base look on the south end of the slip. There are two notches. Where the cofferdam was placed then the water was pumped out. I was stationed at Diving locker from 76 to 80. Made many dives In that Drydock. Found old pad locks and other stuff. Up in the dock. Lot of history around the base waters. No toes just a bad knee.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought "A castle built on sand" years ago, at the airport, in the snack bar, while waiting for a passenger. They may have it.
Shipoke

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
So according to those maps, Big Lagoon would not have been a lagoon, it would have been a fresh water lake.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
No. Because it drained towards Perdido Pass.
It does now...but that is an artificial canal on the west end that was put it to connect Pensacola Bay and Perdido Bay by way of Big Lagoon to connect up the ICW. Perdido Key was a peninsula before that. Dug in 1933.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you to all- this is a fantastic thread. Currently reading Davis’s “The Gulf” and this helps me put things in visual context!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Those old maps are so cool, thanks for posting. That GIF is amazing as well, just watching how it changes even over short periods of time. Just fascinating.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The entire middle sand island is from dredging. There use to be a paved road from the navy land all the way to ft mcree way before my time here.
So the big 25+ ft high sand dune on the island was formed from dredging? I wondered how it got so high, but I had not heard that.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
So the big 25+ ft high sand dune on the island was formed from dredging? I wondered how it got so high, but I had not heard that.
Don't wonder it gets pumped up from dredging it was just done within the last two years. They pump the North channel for tugs with barges can get through. Rains and storms wash sand back in the channel, they dredge again. Sometimes they pump sand up on the gulf side a couple humdred yards toward Orange beach. It's an never ending cycle. And keeps the contracted dredge company in business.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't wonder it gets pumped up from dredging it was just done within the last two years. They pump the North channel for tugs with barges can get through. Rains and storms wash sand back in the channel, they dredge again. Sometimes they pump sand up on the gulf side a couple humdred yards toward Orange beach. It's an never ending cycle. And keeps the contracted dredge company in business.
Makes sense. Well it's really changed in the last 10 months, even more boat parking now with the sandbar coming out in a crescent off Ft. Mcree into the the shallow area on the NE side of Robertson Island. Someone told me they dredged it again about 6 months ago, but I guess I missed that, I never saw any dredge boats if that is true.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When I worked on my dads charter boat back in the early 70’s we could run straight through the south cut at McCrae and the end of the jetty was still probably 100ft out from the sand. Straight shot out that cut with 12-15ft of water under us. Chartered out of Shelter Cove when Ski Lukowski owned it. Also chartered for Merrits(heard a ton of stories from old Delbert Fisher) and Rod&Reel. Always loved half day trips from Merritt because I could run over to Rustys for some fresh mullet and the best hush puppies on the coast. Sure was an awesome way to grow up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take a look at the sandbar on the east side of the south pass next time you are there. It is completely different after the tropical storm last week. Most of the sandbar on the east side is gone leaving a small island. Anybody tried to go through it yet? Only saw it driving by yesterday, didn’t stop.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts