Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see, it has changed, and for those of you that have not been there in awhile, I would advise taking the ICW / Land Cut / North Pass west to Big Lagoon and enter the cove from the west.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
would that not be the east entrance ?

When I first came here in 1995, the guy, John Ferran of Rusty's, who took me there for my first time, referred to South Pass and North Pass, coming from Big Lagoon to enter the GOM Pass.

The place was not as it is today, with lots of boats. There wasn't a NO Wake Zone there at all. He just flew through the South Pass aka The Cove as we call it today.

So I have always thought of the South Entrance and North Entrance from Big Lagoon to GOM Pass.

Thanks for changing the Title of this Thread Mod's!!!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
When we were there in March we couldn't get my boat out of the east cut to the pass.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we were there in March we couldn't get my boat out of the east cut to the pass.
Yep, It has closed up again, as it did years ago. Not sure which Hurricane closed and which one opened it at that time.
But one could walk from the Fort area to the Sand Island / Robertson Island area.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Banana is correct North and South I could run my 40 ft boat that drew 3 ft. Through the South route. The North was used mostley by the big tugs with coal barges.
After the dreaging for the
USS Forrestal carrier everything on the South side started filling in. The entire middle sand island is from dredging. There use to be a paved road from the navy land all the way to ft mcree way before my time here.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It has definitely changed in the last 10 months. It's passable by shallow draft boats depending on tide but not like it was last year. I have to admit recently having a little twinge of pleasure watching as a guido in a big cigar boat tried to run in there like he probably did last year - seemed oblivious to the obviously shallower water, very easy to see... till he started kicking up sand and acting like he had no idea what was going on.

Depths and bottom contour change rapidly. I'm still amazed at how people don't seem to get that or watch for it.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Banana is correct North and South I could run my 40 ft boat that drew 3 ft. Through the South route. The North was used mostley by the big tugs with coal barges.
After the dreaging for the
USS Forrestal carrier everything on the South side started filling in. The entire middle sand island is from dredging. There use to be a paved road from the navy land all the way to ft mcree way before my time here.
They had a bridge there? Wouldn't have been a land based road, because Big Lagoon was always there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Small paperback book called "A Castle built on sand" is about Mcree and its history, with old maps and drawings. Talks a lot about the lay of the land, back in the day. Cant remember the author.
Shipoke

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Big lagoon has always been there. But way back there was no opening to the pass from big lagoon. And ft mc cree was out in the water. The bottom is covered with the bricks from the fort. I call it the brickyard.
That concrete structure that smells like crap is actually a gun embankment. So I have been told.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Last year we snorkeled on what looked to be asphalt that is on the north side of that island. I guess that is from the old road? I'm sure it's still there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Last year we snorkeled on what looked to be asphalt that is on the north side of that island. I guess that is from the old road? I'm sure it's still there.
Back in the early 60's I used to snorkel across the south cut with a spear gun on the old road and shoot legal size grouper. Back then you didn't have to worry about boat traffic.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big lagoon has always been there. But way back there was no opening to the pass from big lagoon.
If I remember, the item referred to "Pensacola Land Cut" by tow boats when you monitor the barges on Channel 16, was created with the construction of the ICW. Of course, the is the cut between the Navy Base and the dredge spoil area with numerous names: Sand Island, Dog Island, Robertson Island on the charts.

I was first told it was called "Admirals Island", created so the Admiral of the USS Forrestal could make port. Like I said before, I was first introduced to this area by John Ferran, his family owned Rusty's Restaurant on Sinton Lane by Rod and Reel Marina. His father, Captain Paul Ferran was the Captain of the USS Lexington, prior to retirement from the navy, and the construction of Rusty's . He has some awesome photos hanging in his home of these ships at port, and passing each other.

John would take me boating on his days off, Wed and Thurs, and he introduced me to this area via boat, which in turn, played in my decision to relocate to Paradise from the New Orleans area. Places like Flora Bama for a Lottery Ticket, Pirates Cove in the dead of winter, huddled around the wood burner eating a Cheese Burger. We would leave Rod and Reel, exist the Pensacola Pass, run the GOM to Perdido Pass, and have just have a great time.

Today, I am the Godfather of his daughter, and we have some great stories to tell, when we get together.

But then South Pass Closed, and I do not remember which storm closed it. So we then had to run North Pass. Then people started hanging in the Cove, and then the No Wake Signs Came. Then it opened again, and I cannot remember which storm opened it. And now, the shifting sands seem to be closing it again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts