Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Sorry for the lack of reports. I have been down in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Venice</st1:place></st1:City> for the better part of the last two weeks. Rather than give a blow by blow I figured it would be best to simply ?sum up? the offshore fishing in there perspective categories.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Yellowfin Tuna- Has been solid for the most part with bites lasting only a few days in selective areas. Most fish being caught on chunks, bonita, blackfin, jack crevalle, etc. The ?trash? in some areas are in full force, so make sure you have patience and plenty of hooks. The size has really gone all over the page. Fish have been ranging from 50lbs up to real monsters. I have been using Frenzy 80lb floro as a staple, coupled with an 8/0 camo hook and having good results. Some days when the water is dis-colored you can get away with straight mono. The spring season will give way to summer soon and already we have seen large schools of hardtails in open water. With that being said, ballyhoo rigged with chin weights should see a lot of action shortly along with livies fished out of the riggers.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Blackfin Tuna- They have been mixed in with the yellows and been pretty easy to take for the most part. Chunks have been doing their share along with several being caught on the troll for wahoo. Fish in the 15-25lb range are common right now. I have been throwing poppers as of lately and have had success on the big blacks.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Amberjack- Lots and lots of amberjacks. Large hardtails have been the trick for these guys. Find 200ft of water and live bait and you will probably catch a jack. Jigging is a fun way to get them but the mortality rate of a butterfly jig around an oil platform is not very high. I prefer a 5?6? bent-butt/ 9/0 senators loaded with 200lb mono and zero drag method. More interesting that way. Fish have been averaging 40-70lbs respectively.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Wahoo- Have left the building for the most part, with only a few being caught here and there. I assume there will be another push but hard to tell at this point.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Grouper- Snowy?s and yellowedge are plentiful right now in 500-700ft. Cut bonita and squid will do the trick. <st1:City><st1:place>Warsaw</st1:place></st1:City>?s are in the same places in 350-400ft. Buterflied hardtails will generally get the job done. Heavy mono leaders are a must. Unfortunately scamps and gags are closed but will soon reopen. The scamps will become easy targets in the months coming with small hardtails working the best for me. <P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>As the weather warms, summer will soon be upon us. And along with it come the spoils. Bull dolphin caught pulling a spread. Blue marlin crashing bait on lines. Yellowfin tuna busting live bait in 90 degree weather. Ahhhhhhh?.. what fun. Its almost here.<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Captain William Wall<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Pelagic Charters<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>1.225.454.5365<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>www.pelagicchartersllc.com

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts