Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up early to yak fish some docks in the sound. Loaded up the prowler and got therejust before sunrise.

I started out throwing topwater. Got a few redfish blow ups on it, but the fish were short striking. Switched to a gold spoon and that did the trick. I hooked a bull red that headed straight for and around a piling, and I somehow got over there and unwrapped the line (thank goodness for braid). I fought him for a little longer and landed him:

Ran into what I think was a small school of reds later. I pulled a slot fish out of there:

Both fish were released alive and healthy. What a way to start the day!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
man..i should've hit the bay instead...went out for some pompano...couldn't find fleas easy this time....east wind picked up....strongcurrent couldn't keep my rig on the spot....put 6 oz.. fleas didnt last long....no pomapno for me this morning.

coolreport...thanks for the tip on the golden spoons...I forgot all about them.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbow (10/5/2008)Nice report. Where do you find most of the reds hanging out when you are fishing around the docks?
Scattered around. Some are tight to the docks, some are in the grass between the docks, and some are out in front of the docks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Roger. Thanks. I fish the sound near Hurlburt in my kayak and haven't had too much luck with good sized reds in months. There has been a lot more activity lately with flounder and specks so I am hoping a few good reds will come through.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Nice catch, I see you got up earlier than me, I thinkearly was the ticket today; I was having a little trouble getting them to eat as well. Everybody catchs reds on gold spoons but me for some reason! i must be alseep at the wheel!:sleeping.

Thanks for pics and report

·
Registered
778 Posts
Good report and great pics. What topwater lure were you throwing? Sometimes they will scarf up the tiny topwater lures if they are blowing up and missing the standard size. It is neat that you can downshift from the mako to a kayak and still get on the fish. You obviously have fishing in your blood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts