Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to go duck hunting for sometime now but with going to college I had no time or finances to go. I am now graduated and have some extra time and money and am wanting to go. Is there anywhere around here to go and what is needed to start? Anybody on the forum duck hunt that would be willing to show me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can hunt sea ducks out of the gulf island national seashore in perdido and fort pickens but must remain at or below the tide line at all time ( ie you must hunt from a boat or blind ). You will need a fair amount of decoys which you can make out of plywood. and a small boat to get out there. Check the regs with fwc before going out to make sure you are legal. The other alternative is to drive to venice and hunt the missipi river delta about 5 hf drive from penscola.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
the duck hunting is the pitts around here, Mobile bay has a fair amount of ducks, however I suggest you hire a guide the first time and learn the tides or you could end up high and dry litterally. When the tide goes out some places that are great for duck hunting goes dry. Or Mississippi delta or Louisiana bayou.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Actually me and two of my friends shot three limits of teal this morning! But I'm in central Florida until Jan. Great duck hunting around here, but I kill quite a few wood ducks up there too.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
quote Stumpknocker (12/15/2007) Actually me and two of my friends shot three limits of teal this morning! But I'm in central Florida until Jan. Great duck hunting around here, but I kill quite a few wood ducks up there too.

where in Central Fl are you and where did you hunt

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
somewhere on the St Johns

·
Registered
463 Posts
Over the Thanksgiving break, my cousins and I got 42 ducks down in Melbourne, FL. Up here is a different story. I went to the Gulf Islands Seashore twice this week and didn't fire a shot. We probably saw 1000 ducks but not many flyers. The ones we did see were either right down the middle of the intercoastal or just out of range. We saw two other guys out there and we only heard them shoot three times. I won't be going back out there for a while. We killed two redheads and saw about 6 others up on the escambia but that's still pretty bad compared to other areas.

·
Registered
213 Posts
are you serious about the sea ducks!!! i was trying to killed 1 or 2 today with an oval weight an power pro... i hate them things...well imma have a fine 30-06 with me next time snipe 'm off some rocks during lowtide

·
Registered
213 Posts
so do you need to have a permit to hunt these duck or can you just have a hunting license? plus.... can you eat those things?

·
Registered
463 Posts
There is a large variety of ducks in the intercoastal as you've seen. Some you can shoot , some you don't want, and some you can't. You have to have a hunting license, duck stamp and migratory bird permit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts