Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid duck hunter, and in North Carolina I lived in a prominent flyway. So I simply walked out the front door, slippedon the waders and waded into the swamp across the street and within three hours had my limit of ducks and geese.

Now that I have moved here to the Florida Panhandle, I am looking for a place that is a good public area to hunt ducks and geese.....preferable somewhere near Pace. I know this area is not in a great flyway, but there are ducks and geese here.

If you have hunted or currently hunt ducks or geese in this area, your input would be greatly valued. I would not only value good areas to hunt, but also what your using in your layouts. I mainly use malllard and wood duck decoys (about 18-24 total) with a Mojo in the mix. Worked great in NC for both geese and ducks, but I am not sure how well they will work here.

Any help is great appreciated, and I would also love to join a group of hunters if you have room available in your blind or boat.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Plenty of wood ducks up the rivers and divers out in the bays, but that's about it. It's hardly worth it to go through all the trouble just to shoot your two woodies then go home, but I still do it. I haven't seen any divers out in the bay yet, but I'm sure they'll be here soon enough if they havent already started. I do most of my duck hunting down in central florida, plenty more birds there. but shoot me a pm if you ever want to go shoot some woodies, i'm usually hunting by myself!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I know how you must feel....Lived in Greenville,MS (On the Mississippi River) for 20 DUCK seasons. Here in Calera AL.....:banghead:banghead:banghead

4,058 Posts
I am a duck-slaying SOB, and we have plenty of them (due south of Montgomery, AL). Mostly mallards, woodies, and merganser. A big resident population year-round, and of course those that fly over every morning and afternoon. I don't even waste time calling them. I just leave like 6-10 decoys on our 3.5 acre pond year round, and it seems to do the trick.Plenty of Canadas too...

4,058 Posts
come on up. they actually will shit so much around a pond that it'll alter the pH level of the water; and thus, killing many of the fish in it. I shoot em' all. Here is a few from one evening last year.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I 've been thinking about going out this year and see about getting a couple breasts. I may have to take a road trip over to Mississippi and fill a bag. My freezer is getting empty.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Man, I have heard those stories of great wood duck holes up the river, but have yet to find them. I have only gone as far north as 2 miles past quintette rd. Shoot some divers, but when we went out Opening day the ducks werent in yet. There were a few but not many. Anyone ever want to go, let me know. I would love to take a couple of you AL boys up on some hunts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lake Seminole just north of the Jim Woodrum Dam has got the ducks and lots of them. It will be the best shoot in the Panhandle. I use to shoot there everyweekend. We would put our spred out and drive the boat up in the cattails. We would always limit out on woodies, canvasback, ringneck and mallards. Better be up on your regs though, you will get checked!!!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
The Blue Hoo (10/28/2007)I am a duck-slaying SOB, and we have plenty of them (due south of Montgomery, AL). Mostly mallards,
You don't think I am?????

Lake Jackson, about a 1/2 mile East of the Mississippi River.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts