Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We took a newspaper lady duck hunting once back in the 1970's. This is one of the photos she published in the paper. That's me at about age 17 or so. The dogs name was Magic. He belonged to my brother's partner in the guide business. Believe it or not his name is Bobby Joe Willie. One of the best duck hunters I have ever known. They used to put me on the opposite side of the tree from clients that could not shoot. I would shoot their ducks for them to make them look good. Then deny that I had even fired my gun. Those were the good ole days in the Black River bottoms. You cannot hardly hunt there these days. I was told this year on opening day there were over 100 trucks and boat trailers lined up at the ramp hours before daylight to get into the woods. It's a shit show, buncha wanna be duck hunters. You should hear them on a duck call, it's pitiful.

Attachments

·
Endangered Red
529 Posts
No way you killed ducks dressed like that. You don't have matching camo, your face isn't painted, your dog isn't in a grass blind, and I bet your using a black gun! LOL, cool pic, thanks for sharing. My grandfather used to tell me stories of wearing red plaid jackets for deer hunting and killing plenty.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
What’s with the hole in the hat, Newspaper Lady a bad shot or something????...... Thanks for sharing the photo and the story

(Edit: It was brought to my attention the “hole” is feathers..... that takes the humor out of my comment I guess......... carry on........lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are the curled tail feathers from a drake mallard.
We didn't let the Newspaper lady shoot anything but a camera.

·
Super Moderator
29,863 Posts
Cool story and great memories I bet...

·
Registered
509 Posts
You should hear them on a duck call, it's pitiful.
Every duck caller I’ve ever been around thinks they’re the best, paid ones or unpaid.

I think they all spend way too much time blowing into the calls. I’ve always killed more ducks when they shut up. I don’t blow calls for ducks.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every duck caller I’ve ever been around thinks they’re the best, paid ones or unpaid.

I think they all spend way too much time blowing into the calls. I’ve always killed more ducks when they shut up. I don’t blow calls for ducks.
Ya gotta know when it’s best to put it in your pocket.
Most of the ducks around NW Florida don’t even quack....they whistle. We use whistles as much as we do calls in Arkansas. I’m 60 y/o. Been hunting ducks since I was 10 or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts