Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of Mobile
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone ever duck hunt from a yak? Im thinking about giving it a shot.. Im pretty sure I could dig in good in some skinny water with the old pro angler. Some good leafy stuff and burlap to drag over, a mojo and a few dekes and.... Only thing I am worried about is possibly flipping my yak with my waders on.. Offshore in 60ft not a big deal but, with waders 7ft in cold water kinda scary...... Anyone in the mobile area want to join PM me. Only have till the 25th..

·
Redfish
76 Posts
I just started duck hunting out of a kayak this year. I have a Hobie pro angler 12 and it is really fun to hunt out of. I carry half a dozen dekes, gun with case, and camo tarp and its still comfy and roomy. I haven't shot any ducks this year (been three times, seen 4 groups of teals, pair of buffleheads, and a group of redheads). My buddy eats coots so I've shot a few of those, but no ducks. Season ends on the 25th, I'm going out Wednesday and Friday morning and if you are open you are more than welcome to tag along..

·
Redfish
76 Posts
Oh and I don't own waders just a good pair of mud boots, the places that I hunt I can get up in and sit in the kayak with the tarp over the kayak, very comfortable!

·
King of Mobile
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10-4 sounds like a plan, im going to try it on a few spots on the causeway here around mobile. Will def need waders there though. I dont plan on hunting out of the yak but wont be far from it.. I know of a few spots I always think.. If i could get my kayak back there its on!! LOL

·
Redfish
76 Posts
I gotcha yeah I'm hunting over here in Escambia Bay, always wanted to hunt mobile bay. It's a ton of fun out of kayak not to mention you can bring a fishing rod along and troll on your way to and from the spot. Always nice to catch a good fish when the Ducks wont fly

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think it really depends on how cold it is and how deep the water is. If it is freezing and you are hunting a mile from your truck with no one in sight I dont think I'd hunt out of the kayak but hunt in waders and use the yak to get there. Just not worth the risk of falling out while shooting.

But if you are talking early teal or one of these 50-60 degree days when if you fall out, fill your waders up, and get wet your morning sucks but it is not a life or death situation; no big deal imo. A lot of duck spots are shallow enough to kayak to and just hunt standing on the bottom in waders, I can think of a ton of spots a kayak gets me too that most guys don't hunt.

·
King of Mobile
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think it really depends on how cold it is and how deep the water is. If it is freezing and you are hunting a mile from your truck with no one in sight I dont think I'd hunt out of the kayak but hunt in waders and use the yak to get there. Just not worth the risk of falling out while shooting.

But if you are talking early teal or one of these 50-60 degree days when if you fall out, fill your waders up, and get wet your morning sucks but it is not a life or death situation; no big deal imo. A lot of duck spots are shallow enough to kayak to and just hunt standing on the bottom in waders, I can think of a ton of spots a kayak gets me too that most guys don't hunt.
That is my plan to a T.. Peddle out to where im going to hunt.. Put my waders on before I get out into shallow water, find cover get dug in and then hunt.. Then take my waders off before the peddle to the launch.. I say peddle bc I will be using a mirage drive..

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
That is my plan to a T.. Peddle out to where im going to hunt.. Put my waders on before I get out into shallow water, find cover get dug in and then hunt.. Then take my waders off before the peddle to the launch.. I say peddle bc I will be using a mirage drive..

How far of a paddle you talkin Brandon? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts

Remember most ducks know there isn't islands of grass in the bay...... You might get one or two, but I figure looking like glared water a 6-8 am works better

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
But if your hunting reed areas it will work just fine. I would just push it up and use it to retrieve ducks and just sit in the reeds.

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
I'm interested in this. Yall post up how it goes and if you have any success. I think I can handle the yak part. Just don't know a duck from a crow!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't duck hunt out of a yak, but I can imagine you could get into some nice tight places with it. Since I have never paddled one, how long does it take you to go a mile? I am only wondering that because it seems you would want to launch within a short distance of where you want to hunt in the morning, unless you want to get up really early. But again, have never paddled one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts