Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there has been some other inquiries about info in the help of training duck dogs, I have a 7 month old black lab that I am working with

I would appreciate any help or small tips anyone might have.

·
eating tasty
3,868 Posts
Hey, I have a 10 month old black lab that I am attempting to train myself, we are learning duck hunting together. I went out and shot a few ducks first, and let her smell them in the backyard. I then hid them various places, let her smell my hands, and told her to "hunt them up." She immediately goes to work and sniffs the ground and air, and finds them extremely fast. I took her to the woods hunting today for the first time and once a duck went down in the water I told her to hunt it up, and pointed at it. She jumped right in and brought it back and dropped it, I think it's mostly instinct for them. I retrieve toys and stuff with her all the time, and when it came time for a real duck she just seems to know what to do. I have no doubt she could smell out ducks (or deer, hogs, whatever) lost in the brush.

The biggest problem I have with her is the basic stuff, like waiting for the ducks to fly it is hard for her to stay still and not want to go track everything in the woods. I kept her on a short leash tied off, she just doesn't like being on the leash. I guess they are like little children, they just have a hard time sitting still.

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
It must run in the family because you just described my lab Emma (sister to Kimber) in your last paragraph...I have not taken her hunting for ducks but we have plenty of birds in the ICW behind the house that have her interest. I have been working with her doing simple tracking...fun stuff...like finding things I hide for her in a huge field...and she is really good...but she is like a little kid and very eager to please.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I train dogs on the side. Maybe after the holiday I could swing by and we can have a training day if someone has land we can use. I live in Destin so if anyone would like to come out this way I am more than happy to show some yard and field drills to get dogs ready. i have a couple of 3 yr old dogs that I am in process of titling. I also am having a litter born on Jan 1 so if you have any friends wanting a dog send them my way.

Brian

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great if you make it over this way I have about 2 acres that we can use around the molino area but thats about it. Took him to the gravel lakes today and he finally got him to chase a tennis ball as far as I could loft it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts