Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometime bring froxen bait from home and it will be the next day before I use them. The bait is thawing or thawed by the time I get to use them. Has any one had experence withdry ice keeping the frozen bait longer than regular ice? Is there a formular for dry ice to the weight of what you are trying to keep frozen? I know handling the ice requires special handling for the protection of the skin.

·
Registered
175 Posts
dry ice is 109 degrees below zero and does require special handling. if you put your bait and dry ice in and air tight ice chest it will last for a few days depending on the amount of ice you use. when you open the ice chest DO NOT put your face at the ice chest. dry ice is a gas and will take your breath away and it is dangerous and can be lethal...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A small amount will last a good while so long as the air doesn't get to it. So if you are looking at just an overnight freeze don't buy a lot. I use to have a slide in camper and we would get a two pound block and put in the top of the ice box. Milk and meat would stay cold all weekend.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
When we were fishing the SKA and had to travel for several days, we would buy dry ice and put it in with our regular ice. This way we would not have to buy ice during a trip because the dry ice would keep the regular ice from melting. We wrapped it in newspaper and handled it like that. You only need a few pounds for a large ice chest of ice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can figure that 3lbs of dry ice will last in a regular cooler for 24 hours. Put the bait on the bottom of cooler and wrap dry ice in newspaper. Place dry ice on bait. Just remember that dry ice can and will burn you. It will blister up and hurt. Oven mitts, towels...just something to protect your hands.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
One of our galleyhands went up top to the foodbox to bring in the rig groceries that we'd ordered and he seemed to be gone for a while, I went to check on him and he was laying right beside of it on the helipad, he'd looked over into the container and the Co2 took him out like a light. He wound up being okay, but that was some pretty scary stuff!

Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
As far as breathing dry ice, you'd pass out before you die. While laying on the floor having crazy dreams, you'd most likely breathe some good O2, unless you were in a closed depression in which case all the CO2 from the ice would collect there (heavier than air). Anyways, if you get some dry ice, be sure to hold a metal spoon too it. It makes a cool noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts