Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was listening to the radio today and they were discussing the new alzhiemers medication about to be released. In the discussion, they talked about the price being very high. It made me wonder, what determines a medications cost? I mean why are they priced so differently. For example, one of my blood pressure medications is cheap and the other cost 4 times as much. Why the difference?

Probably seems like a dumb question, but I just cant imagine why the differences would be so much.

·
Bearded Brotula
12,974 Posts
Cost to bring to market is a big factor. Production costs. Then you get into how long the patent is good for. Some drugs take much longer and more money for R&D. Then again, some is just greed.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I have Type 2 diabetes. Was prescribed Metformin years ago and was doing fine. Changed my PCP and he wants me to switch to Jardiance. Metformin is free at Publix. Jardiance is $500+ monthly. I refused to take it and he won't write me a new prescription for Metformin. Guess I will be going to a new doctor.

My wife has asthma. The same doctor started her on Nucala injections. They cost $3700+ monthly but he told her that he would give her samples. The samples lasted 3 months and now he will have to bill her insurance. Her insurance won't approve the treatment. I told her from the beginning that something was fishy because companies can't give away a drug that cost this much but she didn't think ahead.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I often wonder how you can find out, really, truthfully find out, if your Dr. is prescribing you something because you really need it or just because he/she gets perks from the drug reps the more they prescribe it.

Of course on the other end of the spectrum you got the holistic, faith-healer, chiropractor variety that say you don't need any of it because "after all, you don't have to worry about your dog's blood pressure or cholesterol and just like him, our bodies are self-healing and self-regulating". Well, my dog doesn't have a mortgage, a truck payment, a 7:00 to 5:00 sedentary job, or 15 minutes to grab something for lunch from the hot bar at the local Gas and Go station on the way between job sites. :sick:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
First of all managed care is what determines what the Dr. Prescribes not the drug rep that was years ago. Years ago it would cost a company over 100 million to develop a NEW drug. That being said if the drug goes to clinical trial and gets rejected the company eats what their cost is to that point. As said before not all patents are for a long period of time

·
Registered
786 Posts
Watch Season 1 of Netflix's Dirty Money. There is an episode called Drug Short. While it doesn't tackle the issue in it's entirety, it does explain one of the more greedy avenues companies take to drive up the cost.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
What Mrfish said. If you , op, where doing ok on your original medication there’s no reason for them to change. Mine did the same with my BP meds and I just no thanks, because it was 3 times more. Mine are also free at Publix, except that one. Sounds like you need to try another DR.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I have Type 2 diabetes. Was prescribed Metformin years ago and was doing fine. Changed my PCP and he wants me to switch to Jardiance. Metformin is free at Publix. Jardiance is $500+ monthly. I refused to take it and he won't write me a new prescription for Metformin. Guess I will be going to a new doctor.

My wife has asthma. The same doctor started her on Nucala injections. They cost $3700+ monthly but he told her that he would give her samples. The samples lasted 3 months and now he will have to bill her insurance. Her insurance won't approve the treatment. I told her from the beginning that something was fishy because companies can't give away a drug that cost this much but she didn't think ahead.
You should be able to stay on Metformin unless your A1C has gone up. I think it is standard to put you on something else if it has shot up recently.
Last year I was able to go on Medicare and all of my blood pressure meds cost nothing. The government negotiates with pharmaceuticals for cost. A lot of funding for big pharma comes from government grants. Our drug prices are a racket.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My A1C runs 5 to 5.5 but since I haven't taken any meds for 3 months it is probably going up. My morning readings now are between 100 to 115. More like pre-diabetic results.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
My A1C runs 5 to 5.5 but since I haven't taken any meds for 3 months it is probably going up. My morning readings now are between 100 to 115. More like pre-diabetic results.
Get another doctor. If you can keep in the 5 range using Metformin, you do not need the other stuff that can cause all kinds of side effects unless there is something else going on wih you that Jardiance would fix. I have a feeling that your doc is listening to the pharmaceutical reps. This would make me think that the doctor is no longer working for me.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
If you see the doctor again, just straight up ask him the question. 'If my A1C was ok on metformin, why won't you prescribe it when the other stuff costs me so much more?' See if he gives you a straight answer.

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Man I read the topic and thought to myself, well it ain't just my coke dealer going up, must be inflation :ROFLMAO:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts