Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a charter out of Key West last week, not my $. Drove past numerous weedlines a few miles offshore. We drove directly out to about 20 miles offshore, started trolling. zero weedlines, 5 hours, 1 sailfish. Drove directly back to the marina, through numerous weedlines, many boats fishing the weedlines. Why would a charter captain operate like that?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Don't know, back in the '60s, captains would pay for our flight time just to let them know where the weed lines were so they wouldn't waste time looking for them. First come, first served! You snooze, you loose....millennials!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
I rather come home with Mahi and triple tail than one catch and release fish. I would not bypass a weed line.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't know - but numerous weed lines in close may not hold dolphin - for a couple of reasons -
1) If there is a huge amount of weed - any fish will be scattered and it is dang hard to fish - you can't troll , and it will take forever to cruise along checking out multiple weed lines looking for fish
2) If is fairly shallow- and not real clean, the dolphin/sails may be offshore

I fished with a friend who could not pass up a weed line, it may be noon before we got off shore if the weeds were thick inshore -

There is always a chance of fish hanging out on 'near shore ' 2-3 mile weed lines especially in the keys ... even a cobia or triple tail. However if target was a sail - sounded like he may have been doing the right thing ?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I never passed a weed line if nothing else for a look. ALSO remember do NOT drive right up to it at first. Cast a bait from afar to start with this way you will not spook the fish.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Close weed lines in the keys usually don't produce. Water temp. in the keys is "key". We drive past nice weed lines all the time in the keys. Trust me, he knew what was going on.

Reactions: Splittine

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
To add to that. Summer is the worst time to fish in the keys. Yes we catch fish in July and Aug. when we are down but nothing like the cooler months.

Reactions: Yellow River Cat

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Hope this helps!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts