Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went out on sunday to the 20 mile range to a spot that has consistently yielded big mingos and trigger. I wanted to try to work on holding the boat near the marker bouy while fishing and got a massive trigger on the first drop, then switched to bucktail jigging which produced a small AJ that was snagged and plenty of 10lb+ red snapper. They didn’t seem to care for metal jigs. Switching to 3/0 hooks and a thumbnail piece of squid was the ticket to the triggers, it really inproved our hook up ratio.

I tried drifting squid for mingos and couldn’t get a bite. In fact this is a pattern I have started to pick up on. When I drift for them I get a few small mingos. When I anchor up the mingo size and number of bites goes way up. If we are anchored and someone else is drifting we catch more fish than them. Is there some trick to drifting for mingos? Usually we use 6’ 40 lb flouro leaders which seems fairly standard so I don’t think it’s about fish that are leader shy. Never got a mingo, just all the reds you could handle until we called it a day.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
We usually locate a school drifting (sonar or by catching a few). Then anchor and chum. If you are close to the school the chum usually makes them frisky.

Something that may help is a drift sock. I have a small 40" on that I stick toss out from the bow. Slows the drift and keeps the bow from swinging over lines.

Reactions: wrightackle

·
eating tasty
3,746 Posts
20 mile range is probably a little shallow for big mingos in my opinion. The bigger fish, and bigger schools, are typically out in the 200ft and deeper range. I'd start at the edge. Or running SW you'll need to go even farther.

Me back in my slightly younger pre kids days back when I fished a lot.

·
eating tasty
3,746 Posts
Another tactic that's probably not entirely legal is to make a chicken rig with 10 or 12 hooks on it. Put it on an electric reel with a couple pounds of weight. Let it drift out while you drift and you can get your 10 fish limit in one drop.

It's not sporting, it's basically commercial fishing, but it works if you are meat fishing and short on time after a deep drop trip.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
20 mile range is probably a little shallow for big mingos in my opinion. The bigger fish, and bigger schools, are typically out in the 200ft and deeper range. I'd start at the edge. Or running SW you'll need to go even farther.

Me back in my slightly younger pre kids days back when I fished a lot.

i remember that pic. you said you wanted to take a pic with my mongo mingo.:whistling:

jack

Reactions: FenderBender

·
eating tasty
3,746 Posts
I believe that was the trip we lost a motor at marathon and anchored up there all day! Caught some weird crap. It was a slow ride in from 60ish miles out on one. And yeah I don't remember who caught that one but we had a cooler full of studs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We usually locate a school drifting (sonar or by catching a few). Then anchor and chum. If you are close to the school the chum usually makes them frisky.

Something that may help is a drift sock. I have a small 40" on that I stick toss out from the bow. Slows the drift and keeps the bow from swinging over lines.
What's the smallest size spot you're willing to use a sea anchor on? Like would you use it for a little spot like a wreck or small artificial reefs? And how well does it work when the current is strong?

I take it nobody else seems to have better luck with mingo's while they are stationary? I guess it's probably because I'm not keeping the baits in their zone, and the triggers are getting at them first then.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,537 Posts
I believe that was the trip we lost a motor at marathon and anchored up there all day! Caught some weird crap. It was a slow ride in from 60ish miles out on one. And yeah I don't remember who caught that one but we had a cooler full of studs.

Good grief I would take a cooler full of those!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
When we drift, we usually get the Mingos outside of where the Triggers are. Try a little farther drift. Circle around the Trigger and see if you can find another school.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
What's the smallest size spot you're willing to use a sea anchor on? Like would you use it for a little spot like a wreck or small artificial reefs? And how well does it work when the current is strong?

I take it nobody else seems to have better luck with mingo's while they are stationary? I guess it's probably because I'm not keeping the baits in their zone, and the triggers are getting at them first then.
The drift anchor (sea anchor is a different deal) is used with a East wind on or over the Edge usually. It's a natural bottom technique, not a spot technique. If you catch the right current and wind at the Edge you can drift productive spots for 5 or 6 miles. I use the engines to bump the boat left or right to stay on the structure. Takes some practice but it works.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
It was weird. We didn't get into anything worthwhile until we hit 180 ft of water. Saw clouds of fish in 80ft. Had to be triggers in there. Had lockjaw.

Or maybe the bite turned on after the 45 min ride. Who know.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have a Rhodan on my boat so I stay in pretty much one spot, I've found out if I'm catching small one I'll move to another spot and I seem to do better. I don't keep the small ones. I also use 40lb chicken rig.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have a Rhodan on my boat so I stay in pretty much one spot, I've found out if I'm catching small one I'll move to another spot and I seem to do better. I don't keep the small ones. I also use 40lb chicken rig.
i don't know if this is true all the time but when i'm catching the small 10" i usually crank up the line bout ten times and find the mongos. squirrel and ruby reds are on the bottom.

jack

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i don't know if this is true all the time but when i'm catching the small 10" i usually crank up the line bout ten times and find the mongos. squirrel and ruby reds are on the bottom.

jack
Exactly Jack. Big mongos will come up for the bait. Small ones are skeered to leave the bottom. Also the chum bag will bring them up as well.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I always try to stay a little higher too. But it's funny I'll move 100 feet to another spot and go from catching 12" fish to 15-16" fish. Sometimes I'll get bored and drift to find a new spot and hit the trolling motor to keep us their, that thing has earned it's keep, plus I sucks at anchoring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts