Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am vacationing in Pensacola soon and I am renting a boat to fish and wanted to go flats fishing. The only issue is that boat does not come with a trolling motor.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for drifting flats without having to turn the motor each time were getting too far from shore and deep or too shallow into shore.

An example would be, a place where the flats are more in the E-W direction, if there are N or S winds how can we drift it so that we are not having to turn on the motor each time we get either too close to shore or too far where its too deep?

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Fish the north side of the sound if possible and start your drift upwind of your goal. The wind will typically be out of the southeast or southwest, or sometimes none at all early in the mornings. There's nothing wrong with drifting through the zone, then cranking up and easing back to the start. If you catch fish in a particular spot, nothing wrong with dropping an anchor and still fishing that spot for a while. Good luck, post pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
in the case of no wind, how could we drift? im assuming currents from incoming/outcoming tides? sorry still newbie here

Also in Big Lagoon, what side seems to be better this time of the year? north or south?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,545 Posts
Use a push pole!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use a push pole!
well, we are renting the boat. there would be no point in getting a push pole just for this. i dont own a boat so no need of a push pole myself. unless theres somewhere i could rent/borrow one for the day.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,545 Posts
I don't think you will need to worry much about it. Use your motor as a rudder when needed, and a brick if needed to slow the drift down a bit. Just go and have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
963 Posts
If it is too windy and are drifting too fast, then go get a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, tie a rope to it and drag it behind the boat to slow you down. Good Luck !

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,982 Posts
Put the anchor out. Get out of the boat and wade fish. If you're worried about the unknowns in the water (jaws), put the anchor out on a short rope and wade with the boat, so if you feel uncomfortable, you can hop back in the boat.
Other than what's been suggested, maybe you can borrow someone's trolling motor and bring it down with you.
My boat doesn't have a trolling motor either, but I drift with the current/winds, and hop-a-long using the anchor on a short rope. Pick-up and drop, pick-up and drop. Easy Peasy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree get out and wade a ways. Use light line to make longer cast and cover more ground that you would be able to cover with a tm. 8-10 lb test mono. Take your time don't get in a hurry trying to cover ground. You would be surprised the amount of bigger trout in super shallow water. Especially around a full moon. Focus on the ambush points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts