Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year in Fort Morgan we did a little kayak fishing off the beach, mostly throwing jigs like Kastmasters catching Spanish and trout with the occasional ladyfish, croaker and hardtail. I thought about throwing a hardtail on a 10/0 hook with a long leader and just enough weight to keep it off the surface. We were 100-300 yards off the beach. We will be in Navarre in June about 3 miles West of the pier. Would this be a productive method? I would assume for small sharks, bull reds and maybe a king if we were lucky.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The same tactics will work here and you are pretty much right on with what you might catch with the hard tail also try and get some cigar minnows and try the same thing as the hard tail

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
Sabiki with a one or two ounce weight on the bottom of the leader. Cast or just drop to bottom, and bob up and down. Try around bouys or structure.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you get good frozen ones. I got some at walmart last year and they were nasty.

What would cigars catch that croakers and hardtails won't?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Any bait store just check them out and they will probably catch the same things but in my opinion it is better to match what they are feeding on and have multiple bait opinions to present

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if you're catching hardtails, croakers, and pins, but no cigars, wouldn't that be what they are eating? The only thing I've caught with the sabiki has been pinfish.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
So if you're catching hardtails, croakers, and pins, but no cigars, wouldn't that be what they are eating? The only thing I've caught with the sabiki has been pinfish.
yes, match the hatch but cigar minnows troll a lot better dead than hardtails and kings wont turn their nose at them so most opt for a bag of dead cigs then try to load up on live bait. get a fish finder and you can find schools of cigs and hardtails just past the breakers. no structure needed.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Do NOT get a stand alone DSI if you are planning on fishing offshore. Trust me, they are worthless for finding fish and bait offshore. I run an Elite-7 HDI and run traditional sonar as well as DSI at the same time so I have seen the difference first hands 100s of times. In fact DSI is worthless for finding structure offshore as well, the beam is just too narrow and youre more likely to run over the fish and not the structure in the first place and DSI just doesnt mark fish that well.

As for bait, I wouldt waste my time with croakers or pins unless I was reef fishing. Hardtails, cigs, speedos, sardines and threadfin is what Id troll with. I hardly "pimp" my self out any more, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn. If you can find a buddy, Im just $250 for two and I can teach you everything from how to locate and catch bait, to how to make different rigs to how to find the kings...in all honesty youll spend $250 in no time trying to figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
For example, I took these guys out a couple of months ago. They had their own yaks and had been offshore several times and had yet to catch a king. They limited out and released several other nice fish! They told me they had wished they had fished with me earlier instead of wasting so much time winging it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts