Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if this would be a good investment while drift fishing some offshore spots . Does anyone here use one ? and thoughts on this idea ? I’m trying to keep the bait in the strike zone a little longer.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Never even heard of one being used in saltwater but don't know why it wouldn't work on a smaller boat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I’m doing this now and it’s pretty taxing cutting baits watching machine also having my fishing rod in my hands during all of this

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You need to hire an octopus

Reactions: Bodupp

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Think of the drift sock like a sail.

You can perform a maneuver with the drift sock and your motor in gear akin to the sailor's "Heave To" and your boat will stay in one spot.

It's much easier to just google it and watch some YouTube videos than for me to try and describe.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Really? Never seen one in Florida.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I was thinking 🤔 the same thing. I use to drag my anchor a few years ago when I commercial fished out of Tarpon Springs but those anchors were like 50 lbs and this bottom is different. I put it on order and I will try it out and report back.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That dude's a Yankee, probably brought it from Jersey, doesn't count:glare:

Reactions: cody&ryand

·
Registered
499 Posts
Along with fishing use, it can be very helpful in a mechanical breakdown where you may not have enough anchor to reach the bottom or in a storm to keep her pointed into the wind.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I've thought of that as well. I have a drift sock for bay fishing when it's windy. I can cleat if off amidships and keep the boat drifting properly. Or put it dead center off the stern and use it to keep my stern from swinging to bad fishing a bank or ledge. Would be nice to drift bow to and not swing so bad offshore as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Trolling motor with spot lock. Well worth the $ so you can actually relax and fish.
As much as I'd love to have one on my bayboat, negotiating with the wife for $2k isn't in the cards. I use a drift sock regularly, both inshore and offshore...when there's a wind pushing the boat it works really well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m in the same situation . I picked it up yesterday and will give it a whirl on Saturday looks like conditions around here are better than last week !

·
Registered
116 Posts
New to Gulf fishing and need advice on this drift issue. I was out Saturday bottom fishing in 70-80 feet of water. Tried 8 ounce on Carolina rig and line was angled about 45 degrees to the side. Added 8 more ounces...still angled severely.

1. Can you still catch them with that angle? Caught trigger. But no snapper, although lost one. Fishing public reef.

2. Is it better to anchor, windsock or drag anchor? I am sure trolling motor with i-Pilot is best answer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts