Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m new to fishing and I have a question on drift fishing. I have heard from different anglers that drift fishing is more effective at the edge because you can cover more area. Can someone pls explain this fishing style? Do you have to maneuver your boat to drift certain direction? I would assume the current and wind have affect on the direction you drift. Is it normal to drift out of your fishing spot?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to just drop baits up current/wind of a spot that looks fishy rather than anchor to see if it's fishy or not. Because if you go through all the trouble to drop the hook on an unproductive or over fished spot, you then have to go through the trouble of pulling the hook over and over. So some prefer to just move up wind and/or current, do a test drop to see if the fish are hungry before anchoring. Both drifting and anchoring require experience because wind and current will have different results depending on the draft/free-board of the boat. IMO, you need to be prepared to do both. Drift a spot for a couple drops and if you are hooking up on quality fish, then use your drift speed and direction to judge when and where to drop the anchor. Because of the depth of water you are fishing at the edge, an anchor ball will make retrieving the anchor much easier, but it cause you to sink your boat when done incorrectly. Your best bet is too take someone with you with experience several times before venturing to the edge by yourself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
good advice above. Don't discount getting a drift sock or two also for days when you're drifting too fast because of wind to stay on bottom. Also watch your GPS track for your drift...you can use it to stay on track and also it makes it easier to anchor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Drifting is tricky. If you’re going to drift near other boats, study the current and wind. Make sure you’re not going to drift uncomfortable close to other boats. I also agree with getting a sea anchor or 2. If your bottom fishing and the drift is too fast, you'll never get to the bottom. Good luck!

·
Bearded Brotula
11,880 Posts
Drifting is tricky. If you’re going to drift near other boats, study the current and wind. Make sure you’re not going to drift uncomfortable close to other boats. I also agree with getting a sea anchor or 2. If your bottom fishing and the drift is too fast, you'll never get to the bottom. Good luck!
If other boats are anchored on a spot, then I move on. If you pull up to some of the larger wrecks there are usually a couple boats drifting them. Just get in line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts