Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I know this isn't very technical or anything but the only thin I ever use anymore as a drift sock is a 5 gallon bucket. It is cheap and very effective for something as small as a kayak.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A drift sock/drift anchor/sea anchor is used when you're boat is being pushed quickly by the wind. It will slow down your drift so that you can can control how fast you are fishing. Drift anchors will NOT slow you down in heavy current if there is no wind, since the current will move the anchor the same speed as your yak (ex: on a sheltered river with little wind but fast current flow).

I used about 8ft of rope to tie mine to the back handle of my kayak. I also tied another 8ft to the side of my kayak, next to my seat and looped the other end loosely around the main line for the anchor. This allows the anchor to slow me down directly from behind (so that waves do not swamp me from the side), but allows me to easily pull it back in. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at the moment to show you what it looks like.

Another use for a drift anchor in a kayak is when hooked to a very large fish that is pulling your boat around. The anchor can add drag and help tire out the fish more quickly. Thought you do have to be careful to keep the fish from tangling your line around the anchor rope.

Hopefully that description makes sense.

Alex

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like mine on about 3' of bungee cord with a clip on the end. I can attach it to various points around the kayak and control the attitude/angle that I'm drifting. The bungee helps take the shock of waves, slowing the drift more and keeping you drier. I haven't found any difference in short vs long ropes with respect to speed, its just alot easier to maneuver fish around it if its closer than the end of the rod. Its also quicker to pull in and reposition.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sharker (1/22/2010)I like mine on about 3' of bungee cord with a clip on the end. I can attach it to various points around the kayak and control the attitude/angle that I'm drifting. The bungee helps take the shock of waves, slowing the drift more and keeping you drier. I haven't found any difference in short vs long ropes with respect to speed, its just alot easier to maneuver fish around it if its closer than the end of the rod. Its also quicker to pull in and reposition.
I agree with using the bungee, I haven't used or needed to use a drift anchor yet in my kayak but I have in small boats and the bungee helps alot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts