Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold weather has me dreaming of a "big" boat (one kept in a wet slip). Responses to this thread will likely cure that! What are some of the costs associated with this that one that trailers a boat may or may not think of? Cost of slip? More insurance??? Bottom jobs, how much and how often? Other major expenses? I know there's not cut & dry answers so I'm not looking for specifics, just curious for examples.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Marina fee,insurance(in case ya burn the place to the ground cause your boat is a POS),hull and running gear cleaning every 3-4 wks.(cause ya don't use it,and the diver ain't cheap),fueling on the water at a marina at an exaterated rate(cause your too lazy to truck your own fuel down to the boat),visiting boat every day to make sure it ain't sinking,2yr. paint job if your lucky,saltwater corrosion in the exhaust system,cleaning the boat cause stupid pelicans think they have a nest and feed there young on board all while crapping all over the place. Need more cause I got plenty? Just buy it man and don't look back! Oh yea,your drinkin bill will go thru the roof! :letsdrink

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
If you want to sit down with me i can get you up to speed on a boat in the water. 15 years in the water. It also really depends on what you want touse the boat for. If it were not for a cobia run every year i would be rid of "Lite Catch".

·
Registered
840 Posts
You always have A place to go when your old lady kicks you out, You always have A place to go when your oldlady is bitchin,you always have something to go do when your inlaws are in town,you always have an excuse for you and your buddies (work on the boat away from the house) to hand out and drink, you always will have A good reason to sell it when she is fed up with the excuses your not at home.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
I think ya scared'em off Scott.there goes another member! Heck we didn't even cover engine and trans maintenance,thru hulls,pumps or none of that stuff. I know I'm missing something here! :banghead

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Brandy (12/29/2009)You always have A place to go when your old lady kicks you out, You always have A place to go when your oldlady is bitchin,you always have something to go do when your inlaws are in town,you always have an excuse for you and your buddies (work on the boat away from the house) to hand out and drink, you always will have A good reason to sell it when she is fed up with the excuses your not at home.

What he said.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My best advice is keep dreaming, it is cheap and keeps you alive. My experience is actually more of a nightmare and affecting my sleep,my familyand mainly my wallet but my health as well as I have no time to train asI used to. I shall overcome sinceI never quit but made the decision yesterday to put the boat up for sale as soon as satisfied with the end result. It has been a year of hard labor and cash spending even though I am hands on and do most everything myself.

I have hardly fished, lost friendship and look forward to go back to work to get a vacation. Scott will paint you an accurate picture as he knows what he is talking about, but feel free to call me if you want to hear mystory. Advices are cheap but be careful who you listen to, only someone who owned a bigger boat can tell you exactly what you will get into.

When done and the boat is sold I am going right back to a trailerable boat probably 31 to 34 ft with enough fuel capacity to do whatI enjoy doing, this will allow me to work on my boat( whichI really enjoy) in my drive way, pull it away when a hurricane comes, save the fee from the marina and so on... as well I can moor the thing shallow and dock it anywhere unlike a boat with a 4ft draft.

If anyone is interested to get a good deal on a 32ft express with twin 471s turbo charged freshly oevrhauled with two hours on it, big tuna tower, with everything new from water pumps to the electrical system, give me a call.I never cut corners this thing will be sweet but just not whereI want to be.

I HOPE THIS HELPS it is just my opinion and I do respect anyone who disagree.

341 71 66

·
Registered
317 Posts
After two "water Slip" boats...can attest that all above is true, good & Bad. Just hate it took me two times to go back to trailer boat! But must say, some of the best times were also just sitting there on it in the afternoon at sunset with a refreshment in hand...makes me miss it,,,,,NAH!!!!

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
I live 3.8 miles from my wet slip. It is awesome to able to stop on the way home from work, drop the lines and take a sunset cruise, then back to the slip and home all in an hours time.

All the above is true, the hole in the water becomes bigger when it is always in the water. My next one will be on a trailer. But if you have never done it, and are dreaming of doing it. DO IT!!

You only live once.

I will never be that old fart sitting on the porch wishing I would havedun it, cause I have!!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Don't forget moving the boat out of the path of hurricaines! I moved mine 6 times in 2005 and still lost it to Katrina.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It all depends on what you mean by "big boat". I have a 10 meter Trojan International with a 13' beam @ Rooks Marina that cost $300 a month,8 months of bottom cleaning @ $66 per month and every 2 years a haul out topaint the bottom and buff and wax the hull & cap @ $4000.00

I also have a Wellcraft Coastal 2800,10 beamwith twin 5.7L inboards, 3kw generater and a/c with heat that is @ a high dry on Bayou Chico that cost $300 a month. No other cost other than general maintenance because it sits on a rack. Which by way is for sale.

So there are big differences in cost. All depends on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
Mikvi (12/30/2009)Don't forget moving the boat out of the path of hurricaines! I moved mine 6 times in 2005 and still lost it to Katrina.
I have mine under contract to "Haul out" when the "H" comes with one of the marina's. It is my "H" plan written and submitted to my insurance company and greatly reduces my insurance costs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
went through the same deal when I bought mine finally decided on the 31 blackfin and dry store, which is expensive but saves in the long run...... I hope!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks forthe input fellas. No broker or motivated seller will tell you the whole story, and now I know why.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
if your a hands on person, it's not that huge of an ordeal. I had a 36' at the marina on baseat Bayou Grande that I spent a yr restoring and lost 2 wks after I finished it to Ivan......I still enjoyed all the work and time spent on it.

Now I have a 34 that I went completely through and put all the systems in shape......I savedalot by diving on both boats to clean them and also did the bottom jobs on them, in addition to electrical, engines, etc, etc, etc.....not hard but time consuming (that's part of what I enjoy about it though)I know how I like things done and trust very few mechanics and or laborers to do it the way I would do it.....

+ and - just like anything, all depends on what you want. If it's what you want, go for it. You will enjoy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts