Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my hubs the other day when I got home and noticed that one of my trailer wheels was hot. I took it apart today, expecting the bearings to be messed up, but instead the disk brake was very tight, and obviously the source of the heat. I couldn't rotate the wheel before I took it off. There should not have been any pressure on the system as the other wheels were free and the hitch was extended(they are surge brakes). After I took the wheel off, I squeezed the piston (the thing that applies the pressure in using a C-clamp, which freed the disk, but I don't think I really fixed the problem. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Is there a way to free up the piston?

thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
What usually happens is the piston gets seased up inside the caliper. sounds like it was almost locked up and you were able to free it with the c-clamp. This happend with mine and was so bad a sledge couldn't free it. I had to buy another caliper. There is no other way to free up those calipers unless you can find a rebuild kit which i don't reccomend because a new caliper isn't too expensive if you take into account the insurance you get from knowing that your brakes are not going to eat up your rotor. by the way how does the pads look? I ended up replacing all of the seals bearings and pads on my tandem axle.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Can be rebuilt, but usually more trouble then (worth) replacing. Not too much of a problem in calipers that aren't submerged in water, but with those that are.....Replace. Otherwise look for a reoccurring problem, most likely at the worse time. I wouldn't rebuild.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just to be safe take all of your wheels off one at a time and have a buddy push on the tounge and make sure each one is moving. replace the ones that are not. replace pads that need to be replaced and while you have the tires off look at the back of the hubs and make sure you don't have any splattering oil. (broken rear seal) Take care of your trailer and it will take care of you and your boat.

screaming drags

Justin

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was a pretty easy fix. I found the new caliper on line for 82 bucks. It came yesterday and it took me about 45 minutes to change it out and bleed the system. Never did it before, but there were pretty good instructions on line. Im gonna order another one now so I don't have to miss a weekend of fishing waiting for it to get here when the next one goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts