Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to using downriggers and wanted to start out with a manual unit. Will mostly be targeting kings. I think I have narrowed it down to a Penn FM 625 or a Cannon Uni-trol 10. Has anybody had any experience with these. Thanks for your reply

·
Premium Member
12,287 Posts
i have a pair of the cannon uni 10's the first problem i'm seeing with them is the line is getting behind the wedge and flaring the spool . it has only done it on one of them. other than that they seem to do fine. i think the new ones have a steel spool which should solve this problem. i haven't fished with penn enough to know about them.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
we have two downriggers we fish ocasionally one is the electric cannon and the other is a penn fathom master manual and i prefer the penn definatly . Both are older models so can't say much for the newer stuff. both are great and cannon is supposed to be the best now adays.

TIM

·
Registered
92 Posts
both units are great downriggers but i'd go with the penn's especially if your going to meat fish with the down rigger it's self. the peens have a adjustable drag to cannons do not. the cannons are easier to set by yourself, the handle controls the drag on the spool so you can let it down with one hand. when you turn the handle forward it tightens the tension on the spool so if your useing it to drag planners you will break off a LOT of fish.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
best manuals on the market for the money are the Cannon TS-10's, I have a set of uni-trolls and they're fine but those and the penns all have their issues.......we used a set of TS-10's for a couple of yrs tournament fishing and they're great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts