Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wirelessly posted

Ok I have two penn downriggers (600/625) and they have te rod holder swivel mounts on them and I think I want to go to the kind that flat mount on the stern quarters.

My questions are as follows:

1) which is better? Rod holder mounts or the flat mounts? Why?

2) will I be able to use the swivel function with the flat mounts?

3) is the swivel part on them interchangeable from the rod holder mount to the flat mounts?

I know these questions seem lazy as far as the last couple but I am away from my home right now and considering ordering the flat mount bases before I make it home.

Also, is trolling in fall like this a waste of time or productive? Nearshore or offshore?

I think I covered everything, thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've had both and I think they are equal in functionality. The nice part about the rod holder mounts, pop them in, pop them out, there's never any bolts to tighten or screw in. The bad part to me is they are not secured and they do tend to rattle around more than ones screwed to the boat, especially in rough water.

The mounted brackets are nice because i can key lock my downriggers onto the boat for added safety and they don't move around a lot like the rod mounts do. I have Cannon's but i'm sure Penn makes a lock for them as well. The gunnel mounts have the same features as the rod mounts, so you'll be able to swivel the downriggers. In fact, it's easier to swivel them on a fixed mount in my opinion.

My Cannon mounts were interchangeable from rod to fixed, but i can't speak for the Penn's.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts