Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I agree with Capt John!! Cannon electrics if you can afford them. I have a set of cannons and a set of penns and I like the cannons better.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Depends if mounting is important. Some (mine) mount with the spool in the horizontal position, and others have a vertical spool.

In use position

Underway position, or I will remove them,one bolt

I made a custom bracket for my application due to the rail.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Depends on what you plan on using them for Jim. We use them non-stop for king fishing. All of our bigger kings from this past weekend at Nationals came from the downriggers fishing baits at 150+ feet deep. We're using Cannon manuals, I wish I could afford the stainless electrics that Cannon has out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been using the white cannon manuals with the stainless spool lined with power pro instead of wire (doesn't whine like the wire) and have been very pleased. Couldn't afford the electric but the manuals work very well. In my opinion, downriggers will allow you to troll your live baits down deeper at places such as the edge and large ship wrecks in that area. You will be able to catch fish such as AJ's and kings more effectively. You can also send your baits down around wrecks and use your boat to drag large AJ's outbefore they cut you off.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I agree with Jeff, definately pull the wire if you get a set. Unless you buy the stainless, don't use mono because it will cause the spool to split over time. We've been using braid on ours this year and have been very pleased.

I've fished with the electrics and they are great and can get you on the fish quick when the bite is on.

Jim, because you fish alone alot, I would suggest the electrics if you get a set. Fishing with downriggersrequires an extra set of hands or two. Fishing a full spread with manual downriggers can get real busy on the back deck and we normally need at least 3 people on board to drive, tend lines and fight the fish efficiently.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Cannon and when the water is hot in the middle of summer it could be the difference in catching fish and not catching fish.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
for you, one would probably work initially. the main reason for two is to target different depths looking for the fish.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought a second one (used from a PFF member) since I found it really improve my catch.As you experiment with them you'll find the right set up, I am referring to weight types and release clips and like everything else it it a matter of personal preferences. I favor the true track weights(pancakes) and switched back to the pad release clips versus bart clips. Steve from Lost tackle sells my favorite clips with pads, which you can adjust with a positive grip according to the line size and tension desired.

If opting to use bart clip release beware, Brandon from Extreme charters told me a story about a guywho lost the end of his finger while twisting the line as he was about to set it in the clip and a fish got on. I beleive it as it did happen to me, not losing the finger but getting a fish on within seconds after putting the line in the water. I always keep this story in mind !!!

Swivel base is nice, a little pricey versus a static one but worth it especially if running several lines ( I like to run seven including my two downriggers). Downriggers are a bit more work (which I do not mind) and a bit of dance on the deck but soon enough you will be able to set two within a few minutes.

Mine are Canons HP manual and they do the job, do not have experience with another model so it would not be fair to judge one over the other. I had no problems getting parts online to do repairs especially after I hooked up a FAD this summer, I find the units simple and reliable.

A good source of infos was capt Buckhall book Offshore fishing, were he address the subject, another thing to consider are planners and trolling weights of various sizes to bring your baits/lures at depth.

Hope this helps, it is only my opinion.

Regads,

Frenchy

·
Registered
941 Posts
Downriggers are very worthwhile. I use 1 manual Cannon. If I had a crew I would add a second. The only comment I have to add, I use the rodholder mount, w/ swivel. I'm am pleased with its versatility.

Using downriggers, I primarily use it King fishing, some days it is 50% of my catch. Also, I have caught Wahoo, Dorado,Snapper and AJ's while using the downrigger.

I even saw a crew use one while Billfishing in Costa Rica, but do not recall if it produced.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the guys using powerpro instead of cable: What test powerpro do you use? Have you ever had trouble with it fraying or lost a weight?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've tried a little bit of everything when it comes to the downriggers.

I started with the unitroll HP'sand wire and normally use 10# balls, then went to mono because the wire has a tendancy to sing with any kind of current at all.

I switched to 200# mono with a 10# ball and got rid of the singing but because it's so large in diameter, it blows back way to much making it hard to target a specific depth.

I then switched to the salt and pepper 200# tuff line braid with a 10# ball. I was really happy with it but didn't like the color. We fished a tourney early in the year in Miami and I could see all thedownrigger tackle including the ball at60' down.

I switched to 100# power pro early in the year and have been happy with it and used it the rest of this year. I know alot of tourney fishermen that use 100# spiderwire as well.

I still use a 10# ball with it and no problems. You do need to be somewhat careful with it because the braid will cut you with that 10# ball swinging on it.

As far as the fraying of the braid, I keep the wire onthe spool as backing and still have the tuff line on there as well with the power pro over the top. I normallydouble about the last 5-6' of the braid with a spider hitch and cut it off and re-tie after each use. I learned that from Drew Mixon last year and it workedgreat for me this year.

I've tried a little bit of everything as far as releases also. I don't like the pincher releases that come with the downriggers at all and have tried several similar versions and either broke the clip or lost fish because of all of them.

I've make several versions of my own with mono and a aftco goldfinger clips but they have changed their design and the older style is hard to find and occasionally hang up so I started using 10# rubber bands. That worked the most reliable and it was suspended inline with the braid and above theball so no tangling.

I recently made another change and just made a length of braid witha spro snap swivel on each end of the braid attached to the back of the downrigger ball and used the 10# rubber band on the other end. This does have it problems, especially if your fishing in rough seas, the ball will spin when it out of the water and the braid attached to the back will wrap around it if your not paying attention.

I normally put 5 twists in the fishing line before putting it in a clip or rubber band. As Frenchy talked about earlier, this can be dangerous if your not careful. I got caught twice this year with the 5 wraps around my index and middle finger and a big fish in full run on the other end. The first time was so bad, the mono cut both fingers open before I could cut the line. The second time, I had enough sense to spread my fingers and was able to get it off and get the fish.

Kind of long winded but it should give you a starting point on what you do and don't want to try.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Realtor (11/20/2007)Just tryint to figure out how to catch "better" fish. down riggers are the only thing I do not have, besides the luck factor, really lacking there.....
No such thing as luck! If youre there when they are (opportunity) and ready for them (preparation) you get results!!!

O+P=LUCK

Get the riggors you will need them!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Scott, don't apologize for the response being long. That is the kind of detailed information I come to the forum for. Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Scott

Thanks a lot for the detailed and very informative post, I am always looking for tips and advice, most probably will switch to #100 lb power pro and will experiment some more with rubber bands.

Happy thanks giving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts