11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is it too late to plant sunflower?
Don’t believe so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
i've also read somewhere that the best time to plant sunflowers is in late spring when all danger of frost has gone.
jack

Reactions: HighCotton

·
Registered
696 Posts
First time planting a dove field. On the advice of this thread, went with sunflower, millet & sorghum. Sorghum was planted a couple of weeks later, due to weather. Everything seems to be going decent. I'll definitely plant earlier next year.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Agriculture

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
First time planting a dove field. On the advice of this thread, went with sunflower, millet & sorghum. Sorghum was planted a couple of weeks later, due to weather. Everything seems to be going decent. I'll definitely plant earlier next year.
View attachment 1091013
View attachment 1091014
Your millet and sorghum timing is good. All weather depending

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorghum is up. Sunflower appears to be at least in the 4 to 6 leaf phase & Millet is now well established. If we continue to get rain and the deer, hogs & turkeys stay out, we'll do ok for a first season field.

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Tree
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sorghum is up. Sunflower appears to be at least in the 4 to 6 leaf phase & Millet is now well established. If we continue to get rain and the deer, hogs & turkeys stay out, we'll do ok for a first season field.

View attachment 1091294 View attachment 1091295
Lookin good here is some unasked for advise. From the back ground looks like the terrain is adequate for for nesting. Deer feeders with chicken scratch early on will get birds there and they can have 2 sets of offspring every summer. They love fresh turned dirt where the feed is. Just saying you can pull everyone's birds and grow your own that will come back every year. Don't wait on your crop you have planted to seed out to bring the birds have them there and reproducing. A planted field is for shooting time to keep the birds when you remove the feeders for the law lol.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Good advice ... This plot is on the only hill on a 650 acre piece of land. Row AG is located off property to the North and East of this field. I'll definitely look at getting a feeder set up.
Another thing that works early. Go buy bulk bird seed. Put it in your spreader and go spread it all over. Birds will begin hammering it. Or it will grow. Just make sure you stop before season so its all gone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts