Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
What ya gonna plant? Im going to do up a small patch for my buds. I dont dove hunt, and am clueless on what they like.
If I bet my money. I'm thinking hes gonna corn the outside edges, then a sorghum. The middle will probably be brown top millet with 2 or 3 rows of corn down the middle. Couple weeks before season, bush hog a row of corn on each side, week before season mow down a few rows of sorghum. Few days before season Bush hog the corn in the middle. Then each week mow another pass on each side of the sorghum.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
First time planting a dove field. On the advice of this thread, went with sunflower, millet & sorghum. Sorghum was planted a couple of weeks later, due to weather. Everything seems to be going decent. I'll definitely plant earlier next year.
View attachment 1091013
View attachment 1091014
Your millet and sorghum timing is good. All weather depending

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Good advice ... This plot is on the only hill on a 650 acre piece of land. Row AG is located off property to the North and East of this field. I'll definitely look at getting a feeder set up.
Another thing that works early. Go buy bulk bird seed. Put it in your spreader and go spread it all over. Birds will begin hammering it. Or it will grow. Just make sure you stop before season so its all gone.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Looking good. When you planting? Don't let anyone tell you its to late. Nobody wants to hunt in September anyways. To hot to shoot birds. Plus if ag fields around the birds will be there. You'll have a goldmine after ag is gone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts