Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got started on a 9 acre dove field today. Cut a fire break around it and plan to burn after we get some rain. Going to redo a fake power line that is in the middle. May plant more fields but will decide closer to planting. Other fields don’t need burning, green fields now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
those fake power poles is enticement. you could get fined.
jack

• Haha
Reactions: Deadhead1

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
What ya gonna plant? Im going to do up a small patch for my buds. I dont dove hunt, and am clueless on what they like.
If I bet my money. I'm thinking hes gonna corn the outside edges, then a sorghum. The middle will probably be brown top millet with 2 or 3 rows of corn down the middle. Couple weeks before season, bush hog a row of corn on each side, week before season mow down a few rows of sorghum. Few days before season Bush hog the corn in the middle. Then each week mow another pass on each side of the sorghum.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I bet my money. I'm thinking hes gonna corn the outside edges, then a sorghum. The middle will probably be brown top millet with 2 or 3 rows of corn down the middle. Couple weeks before season, bush hog a row of corn on each side, week before season mow down a few rows of sorghum. Few days before season Bush hog the corn in the middle. Then each week mow another pass on each side of the sorghum.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.
What he said

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The property is set up for dove shoots and we’ve had big shoots in the past. Draws a lot of birds when nothing is planted.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
corn, sorghum, and millet would be an awesome buffet for dove.
jack

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dove hunting is my thing, love to shoot birds. The buffet you have laid out about is perfect, just add in some sunflowers, preferably in the middle area of the field. The 9 acre size is great and the “power lines” down the middle are a super nice touch. I’ve always wanted to put in some “lines” on a field for just that purpose. Hope you guys melt some barrels this fall!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
One of the best dove shoots I've ever been on was all sunflowers. The dove were dive bombing it and the hunters were just standing around the edge of the sunflowers w/ no cover. The birds didn't care. Problem is keeping the deer off of it. This place had an electric fence around the field.

·
Registered
71 Posts
we do sunflowers up here also. my only gripe is those damned yellow finches. they will clear a head in no time.

once the season opens for us, i'd wager that 75% of the seed is already consumed by the damn things.

this year we are going to try to do 3 plantings staggered out 2-3 weeks between. not sure how it'll turn out but has to better than just one and done. might be able to get 3 or 4 shoots in this way before the farmers start shelling corn. Its over after that.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hopefully I can get the corn planted next week. Having this four row planter turned into two, two row planters. Four rows is to wide for some of my areas.

Did that a few years back me and a friend went in and bought a IH planter and cut it down so we would both have manageable implements. They both work great a torch, welder, a little angle iron , some extra hitch pins in about a hour they were good to go.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did that a few years back me and a friend went in and bought a IH planter and cut it down so we would both have manageable implements. They both work great a torch, welder, a little angle iron , some extra hitch pins in about a hour they were good to go.
I’m hoping it comes out good. I’ve never used a planter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts