Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A doctor I work with asked if I wanted to go hunt on his property opening morning and I gladly accepted his offer. Since I'm new to the area and haven't had time to do any scouting I went with him to his property in Laurel Hill. He said that he's seen birds during deer season, but hasn't seen any since the last day he deer hunted. He's never turkey hunted and was quite curious as to why I'm so passionate about turkey hunting. Well, we got out there around 6am and got set up on a little bean field and waited for the morning birds and owls to get rocking and rolling. Around 6:15am the first owl sounded off and off in a bottom the first longbeard cracked a gobble. He got overly excited and I told him to be patient and lets see what else gobbles. After about 5 mins the same longbeard fired off again and then a wave of gobbles went across the bottom. From there we decided to set up on the field and see what happens. After fly-down, I shot out a few yelps and clucks. A bird responded and I waited to see what he did next. From that point and five minutes later I figured out he had a hen with him and was just doing a directional gobble. After that we I decided to move down a little closer to them and up on a big green field and make a few calls. Nothing happened, so I told him to hold tight and lets just wait it out. Usually, he's locked up in full strut and has no interest in me until he breeds that other hen. After an hour I made a few more yelps and two longbeards fired off. They made their way to the field and gobbled ever 15 to 20 seconds. Then a few more longbeards came into the field and they started fighting. A hen walked out into the field and started yelping. I mimicked every thing she did plus a few more notes to sound more intimidating and like a boss hen. Sure enough she got pissed and came straight torwards us. And as you know, she brought two other longbeards with her. As it ended, we shot two mighty fine longbeards at 15 steps. Great double and great morning for the two of us. Hopefully, the season gets more interesting as I love a challenge. On Sunday, I went to Eglin and didn't hear a darn thing. The wind was terrible and wasn't ideal conditions for a first timer on the property. Any who, I hope everyone has a safe and blessed season. God bless!

David

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,540 Posts
Great job on the turkeys brother!!! Way ta lay the smack down on em....:letsdrink

If you click the edit button and the click the bottom right side of each pic then press enter the pics will line up and down instead of sideways......:letsdrink

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate it bro! I just tried to edit my post, but the keeps kicking me out and asking me to re-enter my user name and password.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Man, you guys are killing, the one thing that keeps me sane is hunting and you get to do it later and earlier than me.:banghead Congrats on a couple of fine birds. What were the spurs adn beards if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
775 Posts
mpmorr (3/28/2010)Man, you guys are killing, the one thing that keeps me sane is hunting and you get to do it later and earlier than me.:banghead Congrats on a couple of fine birds. What were the spurs adn beards if you dont mind me asking.
I'm just gonna guess and say sharp on the spurs and black on the beards Mike...:shedevil Congrats on the birds! They are pretty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts