Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all you old-timers out there, got to thinkin about what I wanted to ask for christmas, and I decided I want a double barreled shotgun. I borrowed a buddy's $3200 weatherby the other day, and it was great, but I don't think a gun that expensive is going to make me shoot any better. Any suggestions in the $600-1000 range? Thanks. (12 guage, obviously)

P.S. I field-trialed the Stoeger Condor at a recent Buckmasters Deer Expo and LOVED it. The dealer commented on how many people tend to overswing it, because it is light, but I was knockin em' down with it.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
You are right that the value of the shotgun doens't improve your ability to shoot it, and that statement holds true withalmost everything else as well. Double barrel shotguns are something special to own and shoot. I love to skeet shoot, bird hunt, duck hunt and a great shotgun is a pleasure to have in the field. I don't recomend the purchase of a high priced showpiece type shotgun for heavy use in the field, but I will say that the pride of ownership that comes with some of the more nice double guns is hard to find in anything else.

If you are looking to get a nice O/U I would recomend Barretta as a first choice, and probably Ruger's Red Label as a second. Before you buy look at Kimber, Weatherby, and some of the collector type"fit and finish", guns before you buy.

4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curtis haha I think you missed the part about $500-1000 range!! I'm workin on a college student's budget here!! P.S. When are you and the boys coming up to hunt?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
If you take your time and keep your eyes and ears open you can find a very nice Berretta or Red Label in your price range. If you hurry and buy one quickly you will more than likely have to settle for a less valuable shotgun for the same money. I bought one of my Red Labels at the Buck Expo in Montgomery a couple of years ago. I looked at it 5 times and finally told the dealer that I had to have it. It came with the leather Ruger Case and all Choke tubes. We settled at an even Thousand. It has the Straight English Stock and shoots sweet as any I own. I love that shotgun. Make sure and consider the Straight English Stock, I would have never thought I would have liked it and I love it. I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I hear of a deal on a Berretta, Ruger are a nice deal on any other.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Woody, try genbroker.com, or any of the pawn shops, hell with everyone missing a mortgage payment, ya might be able to find 1. Also go to Basspro in Prattville, I was in there last week and they have a sale going on right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts