Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By all the reports I am seeing a best case scenario to cap that well is 90 days...and a worst case scenario is that the well head blows and then they don't know if can ever be capped....So not to be an kill joy but it seems to me that even if it spews for 90 days... wouldn't clean-up be futile until they actually stop the leak... wouldn't itbe like trying to squidgy out your kitchen after a pipe burst without cutting off the water...I'm all for a cleanup effort, but it seems to me that you can't clean up a never ending oil slick...feeling sicker and sicker with each passing day...I grew up here and have lived my whole life in the salt and sand...I never realized how much I took my home for granted until now...:(

·
Registered
76 Posts
The news is saying the 90 day figure is for the complete process of shutting down the well. The temporary solution of collaring it off will to collect the oil will be in place in a few weeks to a month (aka 3 weeks too late) and will at least help. It might not get 100% of the oil collected at the spot but it will put a good sizeddent in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel your pain. I've lived here most of my life and took our beautiful area for granted until I moved to Atlanta for 15 years. I'm not slamming Atlanta, it was a great career move for me, but it just doesn't compare to the beauty of the Gulf Coast. The sand and the salt stayed in my blood and I finally got a chance to come back home.

So far, I've tried being in denial about the oil spill. However, now I'm really starting to get concerned about the ripple effect this spill could have on the Gulf Coast. The environmental impact, the commercial and recreational fishing impact, the tourism and economic impact, etc. As far as the economic impact goes, we already have enough problems without this looking us in the face.

I hope that somehow the damage can be mitigated with minimum disruption to the people and environment of the Gulf Coast. However, like everybody else probably feels, the thought of that leak continually spewing about 5,000 barrels of oil a day into our beautiful Gulf really makes me sad.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<span id=ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl03_lblFullMessage>The news is saying the 90 day figure is for the complete process of shutting down the well. The temporary solution of collaring it off will to collect the oil will be in place in a few weeks to a month (aka 3 weeks too late) and will at least help. It might not get 100% of the oil collected at the spot but it will put a good sizeddent in it
Will they be able to place this dome if the well head blows???? What will happen to the dome if the well head blows after it has been put in place? I also read that this type of fix has never been tried in a deep water application, so is it actually a real solution or just a hail mary attempt? Any offshore oil guys on here that can help out with these questions????

·
Registered
29 Posts
After all is said and done with theenvironmentaldamage, blow to the local economy, and just out right depletion of my/our source of sanity. ............... i cant help to think that somewhere in the near future gas at the pump is going to skyrocket. That my friends makes me angry. To think! Big Oil with all their profits (which they deserve) is somehow going to pass the cost to us the consumer. Any one got a recipe to increase the flavor of oily fish. I just hope myprojected idea of what were going to face is way off the mark.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
While this accident will impact the entire Gulf Coast in many many ways, I am amused at all the anger being directed towards BP and "Big Oil". As if BP and "Big Oil" intentionally caused this accident to happen.

Just one question. How many of us are driving around in electric boats and cars?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your comment is correct, however i am not mad at big oil. Big oil is a capitalist endeavor and therefore has a right to exploitrecoursesfor profit. My gripe is my perception of the future which is that Big oil is going to pass some of the cost to me "the consumer" in theelevationof gas price to cover for their accident. Accidents happen and most times with projects like this are verycatastrophic. It just seems to me to many people are getting into my wallet for their problems. Hell anyone that fills up their boat know thedifferencein prices as compared to a few years ago. I think we all can agree that the need for alternative fuel isdesperatelyneeded

·
Registered
40 Posts
How many of us are driving around in electric boats and cars?!?!...This is still one argument I fail to understand. I don't know anyone who wouldn't purchase electric cars or boats if they were readily available and priced reasonably. Don't attempt to blame the consumer for this crap?! It's my fault because I have a job and go to school and have to drive to get there? Give me more responsible options and I will gladly take them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What really pisses me off is they have been drilling oil for a long time and they seem so ill prepared for this situation. Almost as if they didnt think anything like this could ever happen or if it did we will just figure it out then!! It really feels like they never thought about a oil leak in the gulf.. How can they not be ready for this??? My stomach is turning thinking about what is happening to our home..

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am all for oil drilling and exploration, I understand that accidents happen and when they do it iscatastrophic, what I don't understand is that there is no mechanism in place to deal with a catastrophic event!!! 90 days in my opinion is not a plan to deal with an accident. With all the money that the oil companies spend and invest to explore for new oil deposits, I think that they should have come up with a better recovery plan forcatastrophicevents. Maybe have this "dome" mechanism readily available, or have them within a reasonable distance for a cluster of wells. I don't know what the answer is, I am very depressed about this whole situation. I understand that looking back and second guessing is easy to do after the fact, but I believe that most of the public was fooled into thinking that there was a safety protocol in place to deal withcatastrophic events. I guess that we have all been suckered into believing that we were safe in our paradise here at home.
There is no way off-shore drilling would be allowed if the oil companies came out and said that in the event that there is acatastrophe that there is a real possibility that the fix for it could take as long as 90 days and the flow of oil may be +/- 5000 barrels of crude spilling into the gulf!!!! There is no amount of money that can fix what is about to happen to our paradise. I thought a hurricane was bad, but at least things start getting back to normal within a year or two. This is going to impact our environment for decades to come. I hope to God that they stop the flow soon, but I'm afraid the damage is already done.

·
Premium Member
11,194 Posts
KoolKat45 (02/05/2010)What really pisses me off is they have been drilling oil for a long time and they seem so ill prepared for this situation. Almost as if they didnt think anything like this could ever happen or if it did we will just figure it out then!! It really feels like they never thought about a oil leak in the gulf.. How can they not be ready for this??? My stomach is turning thinking about what is happening to our home..
Yeah It leaves a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.It's kinda eye opening and makes you stop and think how quickly something can be taken away. We just have to keep hoping for the best.

·
Registered
136 Posts
FishinFool (01/05/2010)While this accident will impact the entire Gulf Coast in many many ways, I am amused at all the anger being directed towards BP and "Big Oil". As if BP and "Big Oil" intentionally caused this accident to happen.

Just one question. How many of us are driving around in electric boats and cars?
It would of just been nice if they had some sort of contingency plan for this type of thing. It is like they just stuck their big hard on into our gulf and decided not to wear a condom.

They did this at the risk of our economy and our beautiful wildlife. It just comes off to me they were in too much of a hurry making a dollar to think about what could happen.

All in all, I actually hope BP comes out ok... because we all know if they don't we will be the ones paying.

·
Banned
464 Posts
And to think that there were those that were B____ing because certain polical groups were not allowing us to drill of the coast of Florida!!! This is going to hurt!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
From now on there should be 2 rigs drilling parallel to each other. That way if one blows out, explodes and sinks the other would be able to take the pressure off the leaking well.See then the gas stations could double the price at the pump. Problem solved. Honestly the govt. should give them 48 hrs to stop the leak and thenstartfining them 1 million per minute. to be put in a fund torestore our fisheries after they are killed. When they see their bottom line being hit that much they will find a way to plug the hole even if it means pluggingthe holewith the accountantsthat cut budget for that working B OP.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I dont see any of us driving electric boats, So oil is our life blood. If you want to point fingers, we need to point it out our own heads

·
Premium Member
11,194 Posts
chad403 (02/05/2010)I dont see any of us driving electric boats, So oil is our life blood. If you want to point fingers, we need to point it out our own heads
Chad you got a number where i can buy an eletric boat ? How about an electric truck that i can afford? Is it my fault I have to drive to work? It sounds like your saying we have these other options, well where are they? Don't think i'll be pointing the finger at my head just yet. when other options are available and affordable, I will gladly use them. Were not the cause but we do have to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts