Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got these emailed to me from a friend. im almost positive that he didnt take these pics cause i talked to him today and he didnt say anything about it. plus if you look closely in the left bottom corner you can see somebodys name

·
Registered
878 Posts
Whoever did that is one of the reasons why I quit hunting back in the late 60's! We had jerks like whoever took that chance shot hoping to hit "something"in the woods and mountainswhere my dad and I hunted and we both valued our lives and our honor as outdoorsmen too much to be around that kind of so called hunting. For us it was city people who ventured out into the mountains and the country beyond their little cheesebox houses and their jobs once a year and the stateof PA allowedthem come into our backyard armed with bows, high powered rifles, and all manners of shotguns with rifled slugs with only alicense fee to prove that they knew how to shoot, track, or handle their firearms by themselves!!! I shudder to think of all the times we saw these peopleclimb out of their cars and trucks, already half lit up from "breakfast" and cursing andshouting at the top of their lungs and horsing around with not a care about which direction their 30-06 was pointing or if the guy who it was pointing towardwould care if it went off accidently! I could go on but y'all have probably also seen these "hunters"somewhere in the woods or more likely in some neighborhood bar bragging about the "great shot" hetook on a deer but it got too dark to track the animal so they said p*ss on it, let'sgo get acold beer!

I was taught to be sure of my shot before I shot or my dad would ensure that I didn't hunt with him again, plain and simple. I was taught right and I was expected to adhere to the few simple rules set out by my father for accompanying him on any hunt. And I did that religiously each time. And it may have made me a hunting prude but I am quite proud of my outdoors abilities and my respect for nature and everything that is contained in those communities and it just infuriates me to see photos like this and know that some asshole just took a shot with no real idea of what he was doing! The way I see it that shot had to be made on the ground and at fairly long range for the arrow not to go completely through her jaw. I am pretty sure that doe didn't accidently walk into that arrow by herself. Some jerk had to have launched that arrow and didn't know what he was doing. It amazes me that she is still able to graze!!

I am now expecting all those who like to argue come up with the "accidental shot" theory or some such trivia but the fact is this is the way I was raised and it is my personal opinion and everyone reading this has the opportunity to his or her own personal opinion as well.

OK, down off my
now but I have to say that this type of thing is preventable and not condoned by real sportsmen anywhere!

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
That pisses me off!! Must be one of those " If it's brown ,it's down" assholes!! Hopefully she'll be put down soon, I'm sure that cant be any way to live

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Whats amazing is the deer dosent seem to be effected by it. Looks healthy and hasn't been rejected from the herd. Hopefuly this was a mistake and the head shot was not the intended target.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
That deer does not need to be put down, she is fine. The bung pie that shot her could use a well placed shot however. That will be gone long before she dies. Looks like it went right through her sinuses and is not affecting her ability to eat or breath. I feel sorry for the first buck that tries to mount her thinking she might be one of those loose goth deer.:poke

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
am i condoning a bad shot taken...NO IM NOT but guys we dont know exactly what happened so why point fingers? could it have been a freak accident??yea i think so.....and yes if a bad shot was taken and i knew it i would be the first to lash at the person for doing so,BUT nothing in this thread has led me to the conclusion that a bad shot was taken...just my .02

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
bluffman2 (10/27/2008)am i condoning a bad shot taken...NO IM NOT but guys we dont know exactly what happened so why point fingers? could it have been a freak accident??yea i think so.....and yes if a bad shot was taken and i knew it i would be the first to lash at the person for doing so,BUT nothing in this thread has led me to the conclusion that a bad shot was taken...just my .02
Well I agree with you but the arrow through the nose was my first clue that a bad shot was taken, unless those walmart broadheads can ricochet and still go through a good bit of bone. Just funning, but the likelihood anything but a bad shot being taken is extremely low. The only possible excuse would be hitting a branch on the way in causing a deflection on a neck shot. I always take the side of conservation when it comes to wildlife, and I would rather an animal walk than take a chance of wounding it. That is all I am trying say. Sometimes that is extremly difficult to do.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Give me a break with your high-horse opinions. Like you actually KNOW what happened. Are you gonna judge this guy...or maybe it was a girl...or maybe a child...or maybe a 75 year old hunting 1 last time...or...whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. Until you have made a perfect shot every time then please...just shut up! yeah have an opinion that it may be a pot shot but don't make the accusation until you know the story.

Now I feel better!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
And by the way, I shot a huge six point last week and the arrow did deflect off him. Have it all on video. Totally thought I missed until I saw it with my own eyes. It was one of those expandable Walmart broadheads. Looks like what this person shot. I was talked into it by a friend, but I'll never shoot one again.NOTE... I'm addressing my last post to those who jump to conclusions. Not for honest discussion.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Guys, It's bow hunting! The arrow could have deflected..she could have jump the string...who knows! I was hunting with a friend 2 years ago and a doe did the exact same thing, kinda. He took a 20 yard broad side shot and the doe spun so fast he hit her square in the face!

She died in less than 20 yards! It is sad to see this doe, I can't imagine what it feels like when she bumps it against something!

My .02c

Great photos!!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
This is why I don't bow hunt. I have NEVER shot a deer with a rifle and not dropped it on the first shot. I have never wounded a deer. If it's not a clean shot I don't shoot. But I will say there is no telling what happened to this doe, could have been deflection or a child learning to hunt, not fair to slam this hunter till you know the facts.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A buddy of mine killed an 8 pointer a few years ago. It had a broadhead buried in it's skull and the skull had grown around it. Ever shot at a deer and a little twig you couldn't see 10,15,20 yards out deflects your shot? I sure have andI don't take iffy shots. What about a deer jumping the string? Bad release or accidental release? There could be plenty of legitimate reasons this deer ended up with an arrow in its nose.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Too bad it's not aluminum. It would break off easier. She will be fine once she get's it out. My dad shot an 8 point that someone had shot thru the sinus cavity with a rifle. His deer was at a feeder eating corn. Ithad a hole as big as your thumb on both side's halfway between his noseand eye's that had scabbed over.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
jspooney (10/27/2008)And by the way, I shot a huge six point last week and the arrow did deflect off him. Have it all on video. Totally thought I missed until I saw it with my own eyes. It was one of those expandable Walmart broadheads. Looks like what this person shot. I was talked into it by a friend, but I'll never shoot one again.NOTE... I'm addressing my last post to those who jump to conclusions. Not for honest discussion.
If you were addressing my post, I agree, that is why I said it might have hit a branch. Lighten up it happens to everyone, this an old photo that has been posted a lot of times. I am merely saying that it is difficult to hold off, but we should all strive to respect the animal and do our best to be humane and give the animal the respect it deserves. I hope to teach my children this lesson and help them to be the best hunter they can be. If they make a mistake I hope I am able to end the animal's life if need be. It happens but it is the idea that I am speaking about and hope to pass on to my children. Sorry if I was taken otherwise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts