Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So even if you do go through the effort to shoot at, throw fireworks at, or bang on a metal pipe near dolphins, and you do succeed at driving them off, and you don't get busted and lose your boat and pay a 5 figure fine...what impact do you think all that noise is going to have on the fishing? I've seen slammed boat hatches stop a red hot bite in its tracks. Do you think you'll be able to drive away a group of 10 foot long predators and not bother a 15" snapper?
So upon realization that the firecrackers in the state are illegal to begin with, and its a huge problem to attempt to scare away dolphin, I'm obviously just gonna have to deal with it. That being said, my smart ass response to your statement is...

1. Are you fishing for reef fish in a 3 foot creek for boat hatches to scare them? Pretty sure the sound of diesel motors and outboards running, not to mention vibrations of the prop in the water and hull slap would be a little louder than a hatch slamming. Or how about the guys that drop a hundred pound anchor and chain of galvenized metal straight down on the fish, that doesn't seem to stop the bite...
2. That would be great if it stopped all the 15 inch snapper from biting so all you catch are sows in season.

Again, my search for a dolphin deterrent has come to an end, but i really don't understand your logic on that response about the hatches slamming.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The quickest way to stop the bite is for a pod of marine mammals to show up.
I think you have your answer.
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." God is the ultimate law giver and He gave us dominion over dolphins. I'm not going to harm a dolphin but I will deter them from taking free handouts, something that should have been done with people in society long ago.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Worth a shot, I mean a try. Do you stick one or more in a baitfish and let it accidentally fall overboard? That would definitely be a little more clandestine than gun shots or depth charges. There will still be some on here that would call that "harassment" but they'll get over it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Sounds like a good lesson for dolphins not to freeload to me. Perhaps we should try something similar in society.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts