Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from blasting a few rounds in the water, what tactics do yall use to scare flipper away when he's hungry? Id love to find some of the old school M80s, wonder if the newer legal ones would work?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Aside from blasting a few rounds in the water, what tactics do yall use to scare flipper away when he's hungry?
That's the best thing I've found. Big eggs landing near them as they surface works for fewer and fewer these days. The jacklegs that feed em need to be fed to the sharks.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,776 Posts
I was told they can tell a particular boat from another by that boat's motor noise emitting in the water. They hear the sound and know which boats feed them and home-in on it. I always shut down while fishing. Sometimes they come by, but don't stay. No food and they're moving on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Move spots! If you keep feeding them released snapper they aren't going to leave and they aren't going to stop. Just move on to one of the other thousands of fishing spots. I've heard that turning off engines and fish finders and stopping fishing for 10-20 mins can cause them to lose interest, but I can be fishing a new dolphin free spot just that quickly. Plus look at the MMPA fines and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Move spots! If you keep feeding them released snapper they aren't going to leave and they aren't going to stop. Just move on to one of the other thousands of fishing spots. I've heard that turning off engines and fish finders and stopping fishing for 10-20 mins can cause them to lose interest, but I can be fishing a new dolphin free spot just that quickly. Plus look at the MMPA fines and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Nope, talking about flipper stealing the mingos off our lines before you can crank them up, and then following you to your next spot as well. Thieving bastards make it impossible to fish anywhere when the hungry ones show up. That's why I'm asking for methods to scare them off.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm not moving out of my house if a bear's eating dog food off my front porch and I'm sure as heck not burning gas and moving off a spot just to accommodate a stinking porpoise (and yes, I know they are not technically porpoises). There are ways to repel them without killing 'em and discharging a firearm offshore is perfectly legal. They've learned the drill in a lot of places and will eat grouper and snapper off the hook in a flash and unless you run several miles, they'll follow you and do it all over again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not moving out of my house if a bear's eating dog food off my front porch and I'm sure as heck not burning gas and moving off a spot just to accommodate a stinking porpoise (and yes, I know they are not technically porpoises). There are ways to repel them without killing 'em and discharging a firearm offshore is perfectly legal. They've learned the drill in a lot of places and will eat grouper and snapper off the hook in a flash and unless you run several miles, they'll follow you and do it all over again.
It IS illegal to harass marine life like dolphins(porpoise) and manatees.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I haven’t had a dolphin steal a fish off my line in many years, And I fish a fair amount. I have a rule that every legal snapper caught goes in the cooler till limit is done or we have enough fish. No culls. I also have my own coops so I don’t catch undersized fish. I think that’s a big reason.

They show up around my boat, but usually leave quickly. I’m sure they are familiar with a lot of boats. Very smart creatures.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It IS illegal to harass marine life like dolphins(porpoise) and manatees.
Yeah the regulation also says you must not get within 50 yards of them, kindve hard to do that when they follow you around stealing fish from your lines...hence the need for a deterrent. Also, i dont see all these dolphin cruise boats that make a fortune off of it, maintaining a 50 yard separation...they pull right up on em!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,776 Posts
Get a recording of a large pod of Orcas (killer whales) during a dolphin hunt, drop a waterproof speaker overboard and crank up the volume. That'll make 'em leave in a hurry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So even if you do go through the effort to shoot at, throw fireworks at, or bang on a metal pipe near dolphins, and you do succeed at driving them off, and you don't get busted and lose your boat and pay a 5 figure fine...what impact do you think all that noise is going to have on the fishing? I've seen slammed boat hatches stop a red hot bite in its tracks. Do you think you'll be able to drive away a group of 10 foot long predators and not bother a 15" snapper?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts