Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battling this stuff for about three years. I have used every chemical on the market with varied success. I always seem to get it "somewhat" under control, and then it pops back up later in the season. What are your experiences with this stuff??? It also seems to onlygrow in certain areas of my yard. Some are in full sunlight and get plenty of water and some are in shade with very little water. I have noticed that it grows and spreads off ofa subterranean "vine/root". How do you kill this yard demon???????????

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
In the shade, the moisture remains longer..
In the sunny areas with plenty of water it is excessive water... The proper watering method isn't twice a week or every other day... It is based solely on your lawns needs... To determine the proper interval is simple, only water at the first sign of wilt of the lawn grass, it will be folded leaf blades and a slightly pale look as you are only seeing the backs of the blades which are less vibrant green... At this time you want to water to 1/2-3/4 inch of water over the entire zones. Each zone may not need the same time running. To determine the elapsed run time is to randomly place wide shallow cans like tuna or cat food. When they average the right amount... it is time to shut off the water.

Following this procedure will cause the roots of the lawn to extend in depth and will eventually require less watering as the soil down deep will stay moist longer.

The good part of following this is multi fold... Lawn grasses average a root depth of 8-12 inches under ideal situations. The weeds we deal with generally have shallow roots from 0 (surface) to 3-4 inches. the dollar weed and "water sedge" cylinga [sp] are 2 that have very shallow roots...

As for killing the existing dollar weed (won't do nothin' to sedge weeds) is 1.5 ounces atrazine per 1,000 sq. feet...

This info is courtesy of my many years in lawn and ornamental pest control in the central florida area where less than stellar performance will quickly get the customer to cancel the service as we had a 100% satisfaction guarantee...

https://www.middletonpest.com/

Middleton Pest control is a top notch outfit! Glad I learned from them!

Brent

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I've always done pretty good with atrazine as the active ingredient but for some reason this year, it had little to no impact in our area.

I was using the spectracide for southern lawns at the beginning of this year. Itworked really well but it has since been discontinued, I gave them

a call a few weeks ago and this is their replacement.

<a href="http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/LawnWeed/WeedStopStAugConc/"><a href="http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/LawnWeed/WeedStopStAugConc/">http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/LawnWeed/WeedStopStAugConc/</a></a>

I don't think it works quite as well as the "southern lawns" version but it did knock it out of all the properties I used it on and some where in really

bad shape.

Good luck, it's a tough weed to get control of but can be done.......

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have tried the products with atrazine in them and they work sometimes and sometimes they don't. As for the overwatering, I have turned the turf sprinklers off in my backyard where I have the problem. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I only have them in the backyard and I have tried just about everything in this section to eradicate them to no avail.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Let it grow, fertilize it, get some seed (dichondra), cut it short, and sooner or later you will have one the most desirable ground covers - on the west coast. Seriously, dichondra is one of the top yards in southern California, or it was some years ago.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The atrazine "products" such as fertilizer etc. may not put the correct rate to kill it off...

Get plain ol' concentrated atrazine and apply at the rate shown in my first post... Trust me when I say that if applied at 1.5 ounce per 1,000 sq. ft, it will kill the $-weed. Atrazine is not safe to use on bahia but if the d-weed is pretty much all that is in the spots, there ain't much grass to worry about.
Brent

·
Super Moderator
27,943 Posts
I use spectracide too and mix it strong.....it kills em off but unfortunately them dollar weeds have taken over a flower bed and I can't spray it in there....I kill em off and they come back later....just a vicious cycle-----helpful hint, don't pull your hair out over it!

·
Registered
782 Posts
i prefer to use 24d on dollar weed. image and other atrazine products will help knock it back a little. you can buy a gallon of 24d at barnes feed store for under 25.00. that will go a long way. to kill it all out, you will need to mix it heavy. with that being said, it is really getting to hot to put down either product. 80+ degrees you stand a chance of burning up the lawn, especially with a hot load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts