Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meaning in the daytime. Seems like Hawaii surf just about every weekend. Is this a seasonal thing or is it just like this all the time?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Usually pretty smooth early in the morning.
Pensacola bay is notoriously rough in the afternoons.
west and southwest winds in the summer blow it up. Also a lot of that chop is boat wakes.
The turning basin is often the worst, waves and wakes rebound off the sea wall and ships.
An East wind is a bitch as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It truly is the worst part, at least the coming back in part of it.

I know the ferry boat well. I'm on a jet ski. The ride back in is always a terrible slam fest with hard, spine-jarring impacts. Sometimes I try to tuck in behind another boat which helps a little bit.

I've just never seen a bay this consistently bad.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Currents also play a big part of big close together waves. Especially in the pass.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Currents also play a big part of big close together waves. Especially in the pass.
Yep. Lots of water being funneled through that narrow area. Wind from the north and tide coming in...steep chop, wind from the south and tide going out....steep chop, wind from the east and tide moving at all....steep chop. Then you throw in the boat wakes and it's like a washing machine. I remember many times powering through 3-4 ft seas in the Gulf and longing for the calmer conditions that I thought would be waiting once I made it inside the pass, only to get hammered and completely drenched from spray by the 2 ft chop between Fort Pickens and Shoreline Park.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The bay is the worst part of our trips. Between the wind and the endless amount of wakes, it is awful. Just wait till you get waked by the ferry boat. Hold on.
Caught the wake from the ferry last weekend on the way to Peg Legs. Remembered the talk about the wall of water it threw and was thankful because that is exactly what it is. A wall of water, monster wake.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,824 Posts
Caught the wake from the ferry last weekend on the way to Peg Legs. Remembered the talk about the wall of water it threw and was thankful because that is exactly what it is. A wall of water, monster wake.
If you ran a jet ski at 50mph and hit that wake you could jump over pensacola beach and land in the gulf.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks to that ferry boat, 2 years ago, I gave my egghead a good crack as I face planted into the rail. Huge lump and two nice black eyes to show for it. Just in time for my Mother in Law to come for a visit. It was great. I was actually lucky. My neighbor last year received a concussion and 7 staples in her nugget compliments of the ferry boat wake.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you ran a jet ski at 50mph and hit that wake you could jump over pensacola beach and land in the gulf.
The most I'm able to tolerate in the bay on the way back in on the sea doo fish pro is around 20mph. Even then I'm slamming down onto the water from about 3' sometimes.

It's insane.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I am not sure but a boat owner especially a licensed captain is responsible for damage caused by a wake. Not sure if another boat would be included in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts